Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 299332 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
finally seen a pair of doves this morning!!!!! :happy1: there in my big maple out front. looks like there checking out an old nest from last year.

looks like a robin is making a feeble attempt to make a nest under my deck..........they've been trying thst for 3 years......more crap on the ground then where there trying to build!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Maybe you can erase them with yer new crossbow... :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Barn swallows are back in Bugtussle itself. Haven't seen them at the ranch yet. I better get my jelly and nectar feeders out soon.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Took down a couple suet feeders and put up two hummingbird feeders last nite. Also put out the jelly feeder. Thought maybe I'd heard an orchard oriole so decided to be ready for either species & a hummer of course.  :cool:
« Last Edit: April 04/25/24, 10:54:23 AM by Dotch »

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok just got an Oriole feeder and read this!  Now what? They are taking about Hummers.   :confused:

Why not feed grape jelly to orioles?
The central Wisconsin nonprofit shared photos to raise awareness that grape jelly is a sticky danger for the delicate birds. They said it has become common practice for people to put out jelly for orioles. However, when it is this warm, the jelly melts and sticks in other bird's feathers and feet.Jun 2, 2023
« Last Edit: April 04/25/24, 11:12:14 AM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Author is Karen

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I remember reading about that last year. Has to be climate change! :rolleyes: Seeing as how it came from 'Sconnie, they were probably dumping PBR or Blatz in with it, hence the problem!  :doah:

In ~25 years of feeding grape jelly, never recall seeing the hummingbirds even get close to our grape jelly feeder or having a problem with it liquifying for that matter. The only time it gets a little dicey is if we use the full jar-type jelly feeder. Then occasionally we'll see some liquid on the tray. The orioles make short work of it if that happens. When we've used it the past several seasons it's been to allow the orioles more access when they become numerous or when the rotten house sparrows become a nuisance. We have a cup-type jelly feeder and one nectar feeder that orioles & hummers can both access. 
« Last Edit: April 04/25/24, 11:49:17 AM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
got yellow finches on the feeders this morning!!!!!!! :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Barn swallows were back at the ranch as of last nite. House finch was eating jelly this a.m.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A Harris's sparrow was just seen here. Orioles shouldn't be far behind. Some of the nannyberry trees/bushes are getting almost enough leaves for them to hide in. Hummingbirds reported in Rice Co. to our north by KARE 11 this a.m.

Aaannndddd...we have the trifecta. Have seen the white-throated's and the Harris's a little bit ago, now the white-crowned sparrow. Am sure they're looking at the lawn and wondering, why doesn't this guy mow parts of it?  :scratch:
« Last Edit: April 04/27/24, 12:12:19 PM by Dotch »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm surprised to see the orioles are back. One at the bird bath and one in an apple tree. Grape jelly is going out now!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
mine went out thursday afternoon!!!! :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Another surprise. When we got back from Mankato we saw a red headed woodpecker. The finches were busy this morning.
« Last Edit: April 04/28/24, 07:49:28 AM by roony »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Heard what sounded like an oriole when I woke up. Couldn't confirm it as I can't see the jelly feeder from the oval office.  :coffee:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I put a couple ears of corn out and it didn't take long for Mr Redhead to find them. They really like corn.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You get all the good redheads... :pouty:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm still alive!
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The redwings have returned, along with the blue birds and Wrens....of course the finches, chickadees, turkey and juncos never really left.....

Funny thing is, when the redwings meet the .17..... they seem to disappear 🫠
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: wish i could shoot some of them bastages!!!!!!! :confused:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Damn robins. :rotflmao: they've trid building nests 2 times under my deck. Twice on the flood light on the deck, now there trying on the flood light on the garage! :confused: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw the first Rose-Breasted Grosbeak of the season at the sunflower seed feeder just now

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
roony gets all the red-breasted things... :pouty:

Stuck on the white-crowned sparrows yet here. No orioles, grosbeaks, hummingbirds or hummers... :sleazy:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I would love to see a red headed woodpecker like Roony though.  I haven't seen one in decades. 

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I need to learn more about these desirable sparrows that Dotch speaks of.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
in my walkabouts around the yard yesterday i noticed the robins are finally getting a nest built under the deck in a corner.

need to go fill the jelly feeder........i noticed they found that also!

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Took a break from working in the coop to enjoy my usual PB&J. Looked out at the feeders and we saw 5 goldfinch males. Also saw a red-bellied woodpecker munching on the suet. My bride put out one hummingbird feeder earlier this morning.
      I should eat PB&J more often.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
TT... your going  to get extremely chastised for even bringing up PB& J's.  :confused:

Seen my first tree swallow. Bug eating machines!! :happy1:
« Last Edit: April 04/30/24, 01:37:11 PM by glenn57 »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
TT... your going  to get extremely chastised for even bringing up PB& J's.  :confused:

why??   he just had a sandwich...   asking for a friend!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good to hear about the tree swallows.  They nest here and we like them but wish they stayed longer.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman

I've been married to the same woman for 47 years. This would not be the first time I have been chastised.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.