Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 301353 times)

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Driving down the road yesterday and saw an eagle land that looked like it had been covered in mud. I thought maybe it had been working on the inside of a roadkilled deer and had blood on its head. Turned around snd headed back for a closer look. When  I got close it took off and I could plainly see that it was an immature one.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :doah: :scratch: :confused: feeling kinda bad fer the robins. thinkin i might put out my mealworm feeder after the snowmaggedden?
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Was at the kitchen table reading the outdoor news and a small bird smacked the bay window.  Turned and looked to find this fella sitting there. Google told me Sharp-Shinned Hawk, no birds came back to feed for close to an hour..

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thats a cool looking feeder!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is cool Bobber!!!     :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
:doah: :scratch: :confused: feeling kinda bad fer the robins. thinkin i might put out my mealworm feeder after the snowmaggedden?

A ton of robins really working the crabapples over today. Weather needs to warm up again soon or the crabapples will be gone. American cranberry & nannyberry supply gone a while ago. Bet they'd appreciate the mealworms.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw our first robin of the year today at Loman. 

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't know what kind of tree it was, maybe crab apple, maybe something else, but it had a bunch of small dried fruit still on it and on the ground.  The robins were all over it.

I've also heard tell of birds getting 'drunk' off the fermented juice of these dried fruits.  I don't know if that is true or not.  So I do feel bad for the robins when they can't get to their worms, but they do seem to find a way to get by.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I imagine robins can get a jag on but don't remember seeing it. I know the squirrels on St. Paul campus at the U were drunks in the fall, especially if it had been warmer. The crabapples would ferment and the little buggers would come back daily to feast on them. By afternoon they were just blotto & would fall out of the tree. They must've crawled back to their nests or holes to sleep it off, then came back for more the next day. Amusing to say the least. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I imagine robins can get a jag on but don't remember seeing it. I know the squirrels on St. Paul campus at the U were drunks in the fall, especially if it had been warmer. The crabapples would ferment and the little buggers would come back daily to feast on them. By afternoon they were just blotto & would fall out of the tree. They must've crawled back to their nests or holes to sleep it off, then came back for more the next day. Amusing to say the least.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: kinda like you college students then ........huh!!!!!!! :bonk: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

once this snow quits......i'm gonna put out my mealworm feeder!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
How did they taste Mark?@

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They were older grays so I wasn't interested but there was a column in the MN Daily student paper, where the guy wrote about his character, Elmo, fricasseeing them. It was a joke, but it got every liberal on Minneapolis campus worked up.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Had dome Juncos at the backyard feeder a bit ago.  Now I'll  believe LPS... spring might be here. :rotflmao:

Put the mealworm feeder up few days ago and gave a few robins dining   :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1:  birds in the backyard.   So the wife yells at me to come look out the window.  It looked like Jake was fighting with an eagle in the yard.  I went out and here it is a goose carcass with the wings and all.  The body was just bone.  He was flopping it around so much it looked alive.  I went and threw it in a ditch to get rid of it.  I think the neighborhood fox drags that stuff here and then Jake gets it.  The fox is all over the place haunting Jake.  He barks at it a lot.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a neighborhood fox up at the lake too. He likes to visit our compost pile just about the time the sun starts going down too. :scratch:I'm not sure how much he gets though as the crows must sit & watch it because they're on it almost before I can get back inside a lot of the time.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
had some friggin gosh damn starlings on the mealworm feeder yesterday!!!!! :angry2: i let it sit empty most the day......havent seen them since!!!

Gunner......you cant have all that big of a composite pile, do you??? at the cabin we just toss biodegradable stuff in the woods never really started a pile afraid of gathering racoons and skunks. at home i toss alot of that stuff right in the garden!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
At my buddy's Canadian getaway they compost in a plastic bin thingy. Toss stuff like egg shells in it and the bears tear into it. One time I stepped in some of the poop they left behind, proving that bears do indeed chit in the woods.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
At my buddy's Canadian getaway they compost in a plastic bin thingy. Toss stuff like egg shells in it and the bears tear into it. One time I stepped in some of the poop they left behind, proving that bears do indeed chit in the woods.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: oh they leave plenty in the woods!!!! especially around bear bait stations.........sometimes its not pretty!!!!!1 :doah: :rotflmao:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Good thing I didn't step in it. By Black Duck Lake near Orr.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Got the resident pair of swans cruising around in front of the house. Also a few geese.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Squirrel Infestation Problem

The Presbyterian church called a meeting to decide what to do about their squirrel infestation.  After much prayer and consideration, they concluded that the squirrels were predestined to be there, and they should not interfere with God’s divine will.
At the Baptist church, the squirrels had taken an interest in the baptistry.  The deacons met and decided to put a water-slide on the baptistry and let the squirrels drown themselves.  The squirrels liked the slide and, unfortunately, knew instinctively how to swim, so twice as many squirrels showed up the following week.
The Lutheran church decided that they were not in a position to harm any of God’s creatures.  So, they humanely trapped their squirrels and set them free near the Baptist church.  Two weeks later, the squirrels were back when the Baptists took down the water-slide.
The Episcopalians tried a much more unique path by setting out pans of whiskey around their church in an effort to kill the squirrels with alcohol poisoning.  They sadly learned how much damage a band of drunk squirrels can do.
But the Catholic church came up with a more creative strategy!  They baptized all the squirrels and made them members of the church.  Now they only see them at Christmas and Easter.
Not much was heard from the Jewish synagogue.  They took the first squirrel and circumcised him.  They haven’t seen a squirrel since.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :bonk: :bonk: :rotflmao:

there ya go HD get dem skurrels denutted!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
gray heron's are back!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
🦃 Turkey's everywhere!

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Beautiful pic HD.  Could be a post card. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen a pair of loons fly over the lake last night!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots of ducks flying over the river.  Saw some divers landing.