Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 301605 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Where did you get those from?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
well.......the feeders i think you can get at FF, think i seen them there.....these are old.....i had them at the camper.....tree rat proof.

the nets i found in town here at the country store.......i havent looked anywhere else or paid much attention to who else might have them.

all i know is it helps from killing the grass completely under the feeders........the oil in the sunflowers do that!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Lotsa red-wing blackbirds thru the area this a.m. Goldfinches & chickadees common at the feeders today. Kinda sporadic.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
well.......the feeders i think you can get at FF, think i seen them there.....these are old.....i had them at the camper.....tree rat proof.

the nets i found in town here at the country store.......i havent looked anywhere else or paid much attention to who else might have them.

all i know is it helps from killing the grass completely under the feeders........the oil in the sunflowers do that!

The Turkeys, Squirrels and the Deer kill the grass under the feeders here.
I thought maybe the nets were for catching some of the extra feed from those messy Blue Jays.....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That's exactly what there for.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw my first swan of the year today sitting on the ice in the river.  Also saw a flock of a dozen Canadas flying over the river.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw my first swan of the year today sitting on the ice in the river.  Also saw a flock of a dozen Canadas flying over the river.

There are 4 swans standing out on the ice here this morning.  Every year they stop here for a couple weeks and then move on.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Love their sounds. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
had 3 robins in the back yard a bit ago............you know what Reb used to say! its gonna snow on them 3 times!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rolleyes: :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks like the males are back to set up nesting territories. Some earthworm castings spotted yesterday so they've got that going for them, at least until the surface soil freezes up again. Jeez those flickers are pigs. We've seen an occasional one at the feeders over the years but now I see we have two. Buggers can really eat suet.     
« Last Edit: March 03/04/24, 01:28:34 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
finally seen some robins!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
seen it somewhere...... :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: that there starting to track the migration of the hummingbirds!!!!!

i'll believe its spring when i see blue herons and loons!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Nice find mikey! Been seeing some flocks of geese way up high some mornings. By the looks & sounds of things based on the link you posted for our county, they're probably cackling geese. 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
https://dashboard.birdcast.info/region/US-MN-153

just set this site to your county!!!
Wait what?  Wonder how this done?  They paying Glenn to stay up all night with nightvision goggles on?   :cool:  :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw a pair of sandhill cranes today.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen one of them today!!   

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw somethin the other day I've never seen before... 

There was a dead robin with a bloody beak with no other apparent injuries.  Not far away the ground was spattered with blood.

I know males get territorial this time of year, but I've never known them to battle to the death.  I wonder what gives.   :scratch:

Or, perhaps, did this make have some sort of bird flu and died of coughing up blood?   :confused:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Clear cut case of Wren violence.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
hit a window maybe

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought that, and we have had problem in the past of robins attacking "reflection rivals" in our windows, but this happened over night.  It is possible the bird did fly fast in to the window, fell down 8 feet from the house, flopped around leaving a pool of blood, and then flopped some more four feet away and died.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
A flock of red polls stopped by for a lunch of sunflower seeds

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thought maybe I'd have to get the oriole & hummingbird feeders out the way it was going. Back to reality. Ground is froze on top. No earthworms so robins are hitting the crabapple tree hard. Lots of woodpeckers feeding on suet with the goldfinches, house finches & chickadees doing their thing. Mid-March. It's still supposed to be cold.  :coffee:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thought maybe I'd have to get the oriole & hummingbird feeders out the way it was going. Back to reality. Ground is froze on top. No earthworms so robins are hitting the crabapple tree hard. Lots of woodpeckers feeding on suet with the goldfinches, house finches & chickadees doing their thing. Mid-March. It's still supposed to be cold.  :coffee:

Ditto!

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Starting to see some migrating birds here.  Swans are everywhere and I see there is a raft of diver ducks out in the open water this morning.  The eagles were in the tree above my deck yesterday.  They never perch there in the winter but all summer long they are there.   I named one of them George.  He will fly in and I will say hi George and he squawks.   Beautiful bird but MESSY.   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very cool.  Our neighbors have two eagle nests.  They occasionally sit in our pines but no nest yet.  We would love to have one. They do land in the pasture and steal hay for their nests.  I told the neighbor and he said just shoot them.  He was kidding.  lol

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Some day I need to get out the camera and take some good pictures.  I just snapped those quick from the deck with my phone.    They are fun to watch and listen to but like I said messy birds.  They go out and fish, bring the fish in and take about three bites out them and then drop them on the deck or in the yard.  They also have been known to white wash the deck if the wind is blowing just right too.   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yep cool birds.......we had a pair nesting on the point by our place for many years.........storm took the big pine down.........but thye built a new one on the north side of the lake.......just not as big of a nest......yet!!!!