Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Antlers  (Read 2011 times)

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
This buck spotted near the DNR northwest region headquarters in Bemidji is still sporting antlers. Most Minnesota deer shed them in early January but it’s not unusual for them to drop as early as December or as late as the end of February.

Antler growth and shedding are controlled by hormones produced by a deer in response to day length, or photo period. Increasing amounts of light in the spring encourage antler growth and decreasing amounts in early winter cause them to drop.

Bucks that keep their antlers longer tend to be in good condition, younger or haven’t gone through the typical hormone cycle that a normal photo period allows – for example, if the buck has been feeding under outdoor lights

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
hearing that from the bemidji area and the winter they had is good to hear they appear healthy. :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
hearing that from the bemidji area and the winter they had is good to hear they appear healthy. :happy1: :happy1:

I agree. Hopefully this winter hasn't been too hard on the MN deer herd.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

I agree. Hopefully this winter hasn't been too hard on the MN deer herd.
i was up at the cabin this past weekend, albiet only for about 5 hours, the deer i did see sure seemed like they where in pretty good shape!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Smokey Hills Bandit

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: September 09/26/19, 08:09:23 PM by jlynch3 »