Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Deer camp traditions  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Who wants to share some of your Deer Camp traditions?

Ours are nothing too exciting. We play cards and have a couple beer most nights (usually play 31 for nickels).  We each throw in $4 in a pot for the biggest buck (winner gets their name on our trophy).  The opening morning my dad and I make pancakes for everyone. The rookies are on dish washing duty. 
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
not sure about traditions, but its a family thing opening weekend, with an occasional friend of someone if there's room. we limit the group to 6 at most.

this year friday nite my brother is frying fish for supper. usual tradition, in particular for meals, my brother does breakfast thats usually some sort of venision sausage.i cook supper and the tradition since dad passed away has been venision neck roast with corn, hashbrowns and stove top. thats sat nite. sunday nite is my world famous italian spagetti. my kid and i sit in stands all day the first 2 days.

and like your group the youngins get dish duty! typically weather permitting someone starts a campfire, have refreshments prior to feasting then straight to bed. OH and listening to all the  :bs: stories of the day!!!!!!!!   
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Have a few pops while watching Escanaba in da Moonlight after the big chili dinner!  :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Not really tradition.....but making memories...
Like I said before, I'm first generation deer hunter in our family....
But, the kids come home both weekends to hunt and spend some time together. During the week, I process deer and hunt when I can. It's a great time to hang with the kids, have some drinks and food &  :bs:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Have a few pops while watching Escanaba in da Moonlight after the big chili dinner!  :happy1:

Leech.... you ever had pasties? ..... (they're not that good) but it's a dang good movie!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
This will be our second full season at "Camp Near and Deer" so we still have yet to establish a "tradition".  Mostly sit around and talk deer talk.  Depending on who is there we spend some time looking at the map and deciding where we plan to go in the morning.  No one makes breakfast so if you want something, just grab a roll or two. Closest thing to a tradition is cooking sausage on the grill for lunch. 

My grandson working on starting his "Tradition" 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Leech.... you ever had pasties? ..... (they're not that good) but it's a dang good movie!

No but I have been thinking about making some and giving them a try.  Already gave up on the Pine Sap idea!   :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: October 10/29/18, 04:21:13 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL  We bought some pasties a couple of weeks ago.  Not bad but kind of dry.  We decided the next time we will make gravy to put on them.  That will help lots. 

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i go and shoot deer.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I go and shoot deer and make sausage. We usually get it done before we break camp that Friday.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
LOL  We bought some pasties a couple of weeks ago.  Not bad but kind of dry.  We decided the next time we will make gravy to put on them.  That will help lots.

BBQ sauce works too!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!