Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 deer season.  (Read 26938 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Way to go glen57.  Glad to see you checked out the MDHA office in Grand Rapids. Alice has been with the office staff for less than a year but has a knack for getting things done. I may just have to get some of these signs.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Way to go glen57.  Glad to see you checked out the MDHA office in Grand Rapids. Alice has been with the office staff for less than a year but has a knack for getting things done. I may just have to get some of these signs.
I met Justin and Alice about 6 years ago when they both worked in grand rapids at ASV building skid steers and we where union organizing the place.

Good people. Still stop and BS with them on my way to the cabin now and then.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Hunt leader said there was a chance of rain next Saturday, now Wunderground.com sez PM snow showers on Sunday.  Barometric pressure rising a bit Friday into Saturday in the 40s.  Looks to be shaping up to be a nice opener.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Funny

[attachment deleted by admin]
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Cant help but think of deadey on this one
78.50"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ha, I guess if I ran into this situation, I would just assume someone gave me a wheeler.  :azn:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
How glenn sees the deer he shot.

[attachment deleted by admin]
78.50"

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
My kind of "Hero Shot!"   :happy1:  ;)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Deerzilla!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just like the fish pics, holding them out as far as you can.    :sleazy:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
How glenn sees the deer he shot.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: your just jealous you didn't get one that big and I did!! :mooning: :rotflmao:

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Best. Photo. Ever.
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Not too much action.  Saw some does, no bucks.

I was grunting away Saturday evening during the last hour of hunting.  With 10 minutes 'til sunset, I perceived movement in the distance.  I put my scope up and all I saw was a wall of twigs between me and that spot.  (Your brain filters that stuff out, but the scope does not.)  Still, I didn't see a deer in there.  I didn't wait until the end of legal shooting, it was getting pretty dark, and I knew they guys were already waiting for me, but just as I lowered my gun, a deer turned tail and ran off.  It was still about 100 yards out, give or take.

Live by the call.  Die by the call.  You might get a deer to come your way that might not have otherwise thought to do so, but you give away your exact location.  And this one was spooky and had no intentions of closing the distance while there was any light to see by.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I grew up in SW MN so I usually go there when deer hunting.  Not this year though.  Talked to my buddy there who is a farmer and he said he isn't seeing any deer hunters driving around and not hearing any shooting.  It used to be that hunters were always on the move and we could hear shots all around the area.  Times are a changing.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
So, LPS, is it the number of hunters that is down?  The deer population?  Or both?

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
My daughter missed a close, drop shot on a spike buck she wanted for her freezer. 

Her .243 might have been deflected by a twig or maybe she just pulled the shot.  The deer was really close at a high angle.  There is also a chance, based on the angle, that the shot hit high on the back, angled down missing the lungs, and lodged in the shoulder on the opposite side without causing an exit wound.  That is one way she could have hit it without a blood trail.  Any bleeding would have been internal.  Either way, the deer got away.  If she had got lung, we should have been able to find it in our search.  I am curious to find out if that deer will eventually show up in on the neighbor's game cameras.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So, LPS, is it the number of hunters that is down?  The deer population?  Or both?
[/quot

I am not sure.  We were all fired up weeks ahead of time for deer season.  I don't think it is near of a tradition for the younger crowd.  There are huge corn and bean fields down there and the best soil there is so huge yields. So there is lots of food so would think the deer are still there too. ???  He said about half of the corn is harvested in his area so the deer may be still in the corn.  The more I think about it I don't think the younger ones are interested.  Even in my family.  One brother has a son that hunts but none of my other nephews neices hunt or fish cuz Mom and Dad didn't. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

I am not sure.  We were all fired up weeks ahead of time for deer season.  I don't think it is near of a tradition for the younger crowd.  There are huge corn and bean fields down there and the best soil there is so huge yields. So there is lots of food so would think the deer are still there too. ???  He said about half of the corn is harvested in his area so the deer may be still in the corn.  The more I think about it I don't think the younger ones are interested.  Even in my family.  One brother has a son that hunts but none of my other nephews neices hunt or fish cuz Mom and Dad didn't.

Fewer hunters is a real problem.  Standing corn is another one.  Deer go in there an don't want to come out.

And its a double-edged sword...  It takes a lot of energy and rejection for us citiots to get permission to hunt on someone else's farm land.  Where do you even begin to look and who do you ask? 
« Last Edit: November 11/07/23, 03:41:31 PM by Steve-o »

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Mn deer harvest for opening weekend is down 13% from last year. Down 28% from 5 year mean.

Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That's cause there ain't no friggin deer up north. Ma nature took care that so did the wolves. :confused:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Our group got one and yours truly got it. :sleazy: :smoking: nephew says he hit one but never found it.

Went to talmoon.for beer and gas, there where 5 deer there to be registered.

I feel lucky tomorrow. :smoking: :sleazy:

A week from Thursday I head to my brother's is sconnie to hunt. :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good job Glenn.  Looking forward to seeing it. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Good job Glenn.  Looking forward to seeing it.
already cut up

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman

[/quote] Aaah,  heading to Inger???  :rotflmao:  ;)  :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Aaah,  heading to Inger???  :rotflmao:  ;)  :happy1:
[/quote]awe and this is for you bubba
 :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning:

That's all Gunners harrum. Over there. :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
but he's leaving tomorrow!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
but he's leaving tomorrow!!!
well then he's busy saying his goodbyes all night tonight. :smoking: :hubba: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That's why Mike,  the ladies are wide open...lol.
« Last Edit: November 11/07/23, 06:34:38 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Read this article and a lot of it made sense.  How much of this resonates with you guys? 

The Case for New, Wood-Stocked Deer Hunting Rifles

In my opinion, that place is deer camp where tradition thrives. The gold standard here would be hunting with Grandpa’s old gun (perhaps a Savage 99 or Marlin 336), but maybe you didn’t grow up in a deer hunting family, or maybe Grandpa is still hunting with his rifle. Sure, you could shop around for a classic, used rifle (maybe an old Remington 700 or a Winchester Model 70), but the nicks and scratches in that rifle won’t be yours. I think there’s still value in buying a new, wood-stocked rifle, marking it with your own memories, and then one day passing it down.

In 22 years of deer hunting Wisconsin’s Northwoods, I’ve never needed to make a shot farther than 200 yards. 

Most of my shots are made in the woods at close ranges. Anyone who has hunted the hectic 9-day Wisconsin gun season knows that shots at bucks are usually quick ones, taken while the deer is moving through timber. My shooting is done from a treestand, usually offhand, or braced against a tree.

I want the rifle to look like the rifles of my childhood. That means a nice wood stock. I can remember back to when I was a little kid, my dad first showed me his deer rifle—a beautiful Browning A-Bolt Medallion that my mom had given him as a wedding gift—and instructed me on how to handle the gun safely and avoid touching the metal on the barrel or the lenses on the scope with my grimy hands. Even as a little kid I could tell that the rifle was imminently important, even if I wasn’t sure why. My dad loves that gun, and he still hunts with it today.

For deer camp, I want to hunt with a rifle that brings back that kind of reverence.