Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Trolling for Walleyes  (Read 2505 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
When you  troll for Walleyes,  on average, what speed do you normally start out at?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
What ever it takes to make the blades spin is where I start out at.  Pulling raps is at the slowest speed of a 115 etec will troll down, but usually I speed it up a bit to 2.5 mph
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Of course I go off the depth finder for speed since the gauges on the boat differ, but we should think about the  navionics  app for speed next time so we're all on the same page. 2.5 mph is booking on our locater.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Going by my gps, we usually start around 1.5 pulling raps.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Going by my gps, we usually start around 1.5 pulling raps.

You have a Merc......so that would be full throttle  :doah:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Nope, that's trolling with the evencrud....(similar to an etech, only older)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Maybe I go too fast.  Usually troll at 3-4 mph.   Maybe that's why I don't get anything. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline leechlake

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
1.5-2 mph.  I religiously troll raps at least ten minutes every season.  Usually during the Summer on a bobber fishing with leeches day.  Seems to always be 85 degrees and sunny with no wind and I GO FOR IT.

I troll around about 5 sunken islands out in open water for 8 minutes with no success and then decided to go over a hump and the rap gets fouled with weeds twice and I call it a season on raps.  We've caught over 150 walleyes so far this season and all on shiners or leeches.  I don't think I'm the source for this info but at the speed above the rap looks nice in the water.
Two Buck Chuck 2016.

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
I usually troll in the 2.5 - 3 mph. Think I'll try a bit slower too.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
the one time trooling ffor eyes with raps at the ffirst ccampaalooza . me and my partner did well. they were the only ffish we ccaught
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
lol  Good one LL.  I used to troll raps a lot.  When I fished the Croix when I lived in Stillwater that was all I did.  Trolled upstream at about 1.8 mph.  Occasionally picked up the rod and did a sweep to entice a bite.  Caught fish even when big boats were almost swamping us in 8 feet of water in the middle of the day.  I used those yellow bird planer boards a lot too.  Worked great.  Once on Ottertail (our family vacation spot)  it was about 85 degrees and I wanted to show my brother how the yellow birds worked.  We were in about 10' of water.  We could see the bottom it is so clear there.  Well we didn't expect to catch any fish just wanted to show him how it was done.  It was about 11 am.  We caught so many walleyes it may have been our best day in years.   Couldn't believe it.  I need to do it more often I guess......   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
the one time trooling ffor eyes with raps at the ffirst ccampaalooza . me and my partner did well. they were the only ffish we ccaught
so the bite good at Morey's huh?😉 :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!