Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2020 gardens......  (Read 93417 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I got to harvest my first tomato today.  It's a biggie.  This is how successful my gardening is this year.
:happy1:maybe you should bury some fish guts................oh wait  :doah: :confused: what was i thinking!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
And what exactly are fish guts???  Do they come with fish???  How does one catch those fish????????
well dont ask boar.......he dont know either!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
you are conquering everything Tom!!!    :happy1: :happy1:

Maybe we could get GT to teach Glenn how to post pictures 🤣
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I got to harvest my first tomato today.  It's a biggie.  This is how successful my gardening is this year.

I think I got four 'maters total - and the bugs got at the first one so I couldn't eat it.

I'm done spending good money planting vegetables in my sun-forsaken garden.  I should fill it with hosta and be done with it.   :surrender:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
you are conquering everything Tom!!!    :happy1: :happy1:

Maybe we could get GT to teach Glenn how to post pictures 🤣
:confused: :taz: :taz: :taz: :banghead: training-087 :rotflmao: yea no kidding.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I made my 3' x 7' garden bed/boxes about 3 years ago.  We really like them and we are novice gardeners.  In one we put 4 tomato plants in a row on one side and about 20 onions on the other side.  So easy to weed and water and take care of.  We are going to drop a bag of Miracle Grow potting soil in each one from now on.  We put peppers and lettuce in the other one this year.  Our cukes we just plant in the ground but may make a box for them too with a fence for them to climb.  Pretty basic and easy to take care of.  HD has his raised up waist high.  That is the best way to go.  I keep thinking about that.  Just throwing it at you in case it helps. 

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman

I'm done spending good money planting vegetables in my sun-forsaken garden.  I should fill it with hosta and be done with it.   :surrender:
Planting hostas will make the deer happy. I keep looking for a repellent that will really work. Otherwise they chomp every leaf off and leave nothing but stems.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Our patio was full of pots, 5 gallon buckets of tomatoes and peppers over the years. What a difference going with a in ground garden, no rot on the tomatoes and big difference in yield with everything.  I had a waste high raised bed made out of cedar for 5 years or so but the bottom was rotting out so it had to go, not too mention the dogs liked  laying under it for shade which made me nervous as all get out. Our beans and cukes climb a trellis and tgat works great.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We've never planted green beans and we both love them.  Gonna do pole beans so they climb a trellis thing too.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Just made up 6   1/2 pint jars of jalapeno/serrano pepper jelly, at least one wont make it the day.. :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
We've never planted green beans and we both love them.  Gonna do pole beans so they climb a trellis thing too.

don't forget yellow beans too!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."

I always plant beans in a wide row, 3 feet wide. Wide enough to reach the middle from both sides. Scatter the beans in the row. Pull the soil on top from both sides with a hoe. And tamp them down. You get A LOT more veggies and less walking rows.

Also plant onions is a wide row 3 feet wide 5 to 6 inches apart.

Beets and carrots in a wide row. 3 rows 6-8 inches apart. Learned wide row gardening years ago from the National Gardening Association TV shows.

« Last Edit: August 08/30/20, 03:59:23 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Would be fun to plant beets too.  Last year I went to the Sat morn farmers market here and the women were almost fighting over the beets.  That made me want some.  But they bought them all.  So by a wide row you mean a 4' long row versus a 2' long row?  My cool as heck trellis is 4" squares.  It is steel but it is all white plastic coated.  May be a clothing display thing.  It is 4' x 3'.  I thought I would put the 4' side on the ground so would have 4' of beans.  Do I plant one row of them near the trellis? 
« Last Edit: August 08/30/20, 04:02:12 PM by LPS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
no I think Ken is saying the row it self is that wide...  and then how long is it???  interesting...

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

I always plant beans in a wide row, 3 feet wide. Wide enough to reach the middle from both sides. Scatter the beans in the row. Pull the soil on top from both sides with a hoe. And tamp them down. You get A LOT more veggies and less walking rows.

Also plant onions is a wide row 3 feet wide 5 to 6 inches apart.

Beets and carrots in a wide row. 3 rows 6-8 inches apart. Learned wide row gardening years ago from the National Gardening Association TV shows.

That's good information! I use that in my raised gardens, and works well!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
The row is 3 feet wide and as long as you have seeds for. Just start scattering them in the row until you have all the seeds on the ground. Leave an aisle on each side to walk on.When ready to pick.....kneel down on both sides.

Peas can be planted this way also. But I prefer putting in a 3 ft. high page fence. Anchoring in place with electric fence posts. Planting peas 6-8 inches wide on both sides of the fence. Pull the dirt up on both sides from the walkway to cover then.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Of our 4 cuke plants we have eaten almost all of them.  I think 4 weren't very good so we threw them.  Last night I picked 4 that were only half the size of the normal ones.  The leaves on our plants are all yellow and brittle.  They know fall is here. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The cuke plants here have been prolific altho they may slow down with the cooler temps. We've given several grocery bags of cukes away. They like to run and hide a cucumber or two under other the plants. Find those 3' - 4' diameter jobbies every once in a while. Once they get hard seeds in them they're sheep feed. Can buy cukes like that in the grocery store. Ick! The sheep are most appreciative. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just heard of this, russian dill pickles...  interesting..

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I throw them in the pasture and even if the horses are near me when I throw them in their just not interested.  I would think they would like them being so nice and juicy.  OK I will bite Mike what is a Russian Dill Pickle?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
just heard of this, russian dill pickles...  interesting..

I've been making these for years. It's what I do with mine every year.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, what are they? 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Well, what are they?
If I tell you, I'd have to....ahhh.... you know the rest...  :rotflmao:
I can post it if you want me to...

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  It's that good huh? 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
It is pretty darn good.....it's a next day eat pickle, but can be stored up to a year in cold storage. Most of the time they are eaten before the year is up.....These are heated only enough to seal the jar.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1:maybe you should bury some fish guts................oh wait  :doah: :confused: what was i thinking!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
And what exactly are fish guts???  Do they come with fish???  How does one catch those fish????????

Glenn probably not the guy to ask... :sleazy:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
It is pretty darn good.....it's a next day eat pickle, but can be stored up to a year in cold storage. Most of the time they are eaten before the year is up.....These are heated only enough to seal the jar.

wished I would have know that, I would have ya let me try some...  some body up this way has them for $6.00 a quart...  just never heard of them before...  might have to try them... 

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
OK.....we all will bite....What are Russian pickles.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think when Putin gets your email you are a pickle!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I googled it and it's the way they are made..