Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: North End, Tamarac Bar, High Banks Resort, BIG WINNIE  (Read 4951 times)

Offline fishing32wild

• Outdoorsman
I'm so excited about what is going on up at Big Winnie I had to grab my Tickle Stick and see what the holes had to offer.  I know what you're thinking, but realistically you laughed and we can now move on to the meat and potatoes of my article. 

We have had the luxury of fishing out of High Banks Resort the last couple days, access fees are $12.00 and the roads are excellent.  High Banks offers sleep and day house options, we used our own day house and did not participate in an overnighter.  Upon arrival we were told the fishing had been increasing and the best depths to target were between 18 to 22 ft.  however we tried something a little more extreme and it paid off for us.  I found deeper holes surrounded by 22 ft. of water probably a 1 mile or so out from shore.  We cruised a couple different spots before finding 28 ft.

Once we started fishing we played with euro larva, wax worms and small crappie minnows, and actually if you have a chance to get crappie shiners (tabers bait, Bemidji) those work the best for the strategies that I found.  We used Perch Talkers (lindy) with larva and wax worms, this produced an abundance of perch in the 5 to 8 inch range,  barely cleanable.  It was then I started using an 1/8 ounce forge minnow (northland) and on Big Winnie I really like green watermelon or fire tiger patterns tipped with a small crappie minnow. 

A majority of our success came pounding the baits off the bottom.  Perch were fairly aggressive to chase and it appeared that the bigger variety came when it was left close to the bottom, don't try and lure fish off the bottom, smaller ones bit on that technique and sorting became a chore, its always fun to catch but once you figure out what has produced the bigger fish, then stick to that method. 

Walleye's bit all day long in spirts and we found a huge producer was a slab rap (rapala).  I used pink clown and silver for Winnie, the water is gin clear and subtle was better for reaction type baits.  Also, working deeper water gave us a better day bite for the duration we were there.  This was to our advantage, we worked the bottom and another method that worked well during the later half of the day was dead sticking a fathead minnow on a small glow hook.

So grab your tickle sticks and find a hole :) BIG WINNIE IS POPPING AND THE NORTH END IN THE SPOT TO GO!!!!

HAPPY HOOKIN'

LGS

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'll be up there bright and early tomorrow!  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I'll be up there bright and early tomorrow!  :happy1:
thought you where going to LOtW's???????? and how early id bright and early for ya????????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Winnibigoshish....thats where I'm going.
I know it's hard for you to follow along because every thread you post on...goes....  :offtopic:  :rotflmao:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Blowin like a B I T C H here for the last 2-3 hours. In fact our power went out a 1/2 hour ago. Good thing for the 20kw generator. Not sure how the roads are but if you plan on travelin this direction tomorrow, I would be checking 511mn & allowing for some extra travel time.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I know it's hard for you to follow along because every thread you post on...goes....  :offtopic:  :rotflmao:
you still buying me breakfast???????? :moon: :moon: :moon:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What do smurfs eat ? Fairy dust & sprinkles?  :scratch:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Anything & everything you'll buy him except maybe pea soup ;D
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
keeps things interesting.......dont it!!!!!!!!! :coffee: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Offline fishing32wild

• Outdoorsman
I do want to make it known also, using lighter baits didn't help the perch get any bigger.  I really should have emphasized this for those looking for jumbos and cleaner eyes.  In addition, another secret I was planning to keep but considering I won't be back to Winnie for a few weeks I want to share the successs.   The key is a glow tiger Kastmaster tiped with a red euro larva and nose hook a crappie shiner or minnow.  GLOW IT UP and FISHER DEEP!! there is my secret so anyone going there pound it hard off the bottom and hold on.  Weather looks favorable for a good fish too, little chilly but it'll sustain a good bite, three day swings are the name of the game

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Here was my game plan...maybe bigger?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Here was my game plan...maybe bigger?
that should work HD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
thats wrong all wrong HD, just sprinkle some peas aroun the top of the hole, when a fish come up to take a pee ya grab em'
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"