Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Half hog  (Read 1785 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My buddy raised some hogs so I got a half of a big one and it just arrived today.  The new guy that bought the butcher shop in Roseau didn't follow my directions as to how I wanted mine done.  I wanted nothing smoked and I wanted lots of ground pork.  It's as good as ground beef to us.  Well I got 4 big smoked ham roasts.  No burger.  5 fresh ham roasts and he didn't smoke the bacon which is what I wanted.  Plus the other stuff like chops.  SO my question is.  If I grind those ham roasts for burger will it be pretty good?  There is some fat even in a ham roast but is it enough?  I could add some of that fresh bacon to it I suppose. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
all you will have is smoked ground ham...   I would have refused to take it till I got what  ordered...  good luck...   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It is fresh ham, not smoked.  My buddy showed up with totes of meat for each of us that ordered it.  I didn't even know what I had until I was putting in the freezer after he left.  He just texted me with a better deal. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It was a real good locker plant but the new guy must be in over his head the way it looks. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
fresh ham is usually uncured so yes you can grind it if you want..  but it will be lean I'm thinking..  good luck!! 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The bacon isn't cured or smoked cuz I wanted to do it myself.  Maybe it would help if I added some of that to the roasts. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Most butcher shops sell pork fat. Look at the fresh ham roasts and guess the % that is lean. Add enough fat to get 85% when you are done. Have him regrind and add the fat. He should do this for you since he really screwed up.

You should tell him to add the fat at no charge!!

If you don't add the fat, it will be no different than a ham steak or chop. Just ground up.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd be upset with that butcher if I were you.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
did he slice the belly into side pork or did he leave it whole?? 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Since I got a half hog he cut my bacon into chunks so I could cure and smoke it.  2 bigger pieces and 1 little one.  It would be fine to me to grind it if it would help.  I always buy 80/20 or 85/25 if they have it when I buy burger.  No leaner than that. I wonder what hams are for fat content?  Think they are 10%?
« Last Edit: December 12/29/22, 04:19:16 PM by LPS »

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
It was a real good locker plant but the new guy must be in over his head the way it looks.
So word of mouth, no written order instructions?  Or you didn't read is offer well?   :scratch:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Butchers are rare  up here so he is about 68 miles from me.  I have a great grinder so my buddy knocked of some for the butchers mistakes.  I will deal with it.  SO my whole point is I was hoping someone would know (Mike) what the fat content was in fresh hams.   They do have some fat.  So I am guessing 10%.  If I grind 10 lbs I will have to add another lb of fat to make 20% right?  And yes I could just go get fat at the meat market here too. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Like I said a buddy raised these hogs and I took a half of the big one.  The butcher went to his place and killed them and then took the sides back to his real nice butcher shop.  I have been in it a few times.  The old owners did stellar work.  They are expensive up here because they are so far apart.  SO I called the new butcher that bought this cool place and we talked about  how to do my half hog.  He got the chops 2 to a pkg.  I hope they are 3/4".  The smoked hams are a complete FU.  I hope they are good.  4 of them.  No burger which I wanted so now that is why I am bouncing the grinding fresh hams thing off you guys.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good talking to ya Barry!!!   Cooper too!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm thinking that those hams are 5%, on the outside 10% (that's what most hams are)
We only process local hogs, (so not a huge producer) and that is what I have noticed.....

I think KEN W is pretty spot on, they should grind it and add fat at their cost since that is what you requested.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Seems like we always have an over abundance of ground pork here. We are always looking for new ways to use it. Sure love having the bacon during tomato season!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for all of the info.  I can see them being only 5%.  I will get some pork fat and add to get to 20% and grind it up.  Will try to turn a bad thing into a good thing.  Thanks for all of the info.   :happy1:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't forget to turn a roast into brats lps...

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup it is the time of year to make some sausages and this will include some of them too...   :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just ground up the fresh ham roasts and 2 pork shoulder roasts.  Got about 13-14 pkgs of real nice ground pork.  Looks great!  They are about 1 1/4 lb. pkgs.  I used those wild game bags that I had left over.  My new grinder is awesome.  It takes the meat right in.  Hardly even have to push it.  When I did the second grind I did have to push it through but went easy. Then used the grinder to push it into the bags.  Worked great too.