Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 10 tings ta know bout gasoline  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
       10-things-you-should-know-about-gasoline  :scratch:                  

I found dis article interesting and thought some others may also. :confused:

:coffee:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/10-things-you-should-know-about-gasoline/ss-BBZuJuJ?ocid=spartandhp

arrow right ta follow article.....
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Good post Lee! And many don't know that lower octane actually has the same or more BTU's than a higher octane...you won't get any more power out of a higher octane. That's the big misconception among a lot of ice auger users....and it's a waste of money. I think a lot believe that because non-oxy is usually almost always 93 or 94 octane. But putting high-octane in a regular low-comp engine that calls for 87 or 88 may actually burn yer cat converter.
« Last Edit: February 02/02/20, 12:20:07 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: I dunno, when I get gas its usually high octane??????? :doah: :doah: :doah: :pouty: :doofus: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
:scratch: :scratch: I dunno, when I get gas its usually high octane??????? :doah: :doah: :doah: :pouty: :doofus: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

As usual a-nudder Gastronomical post from Glenn
:Clap:
« Last Edit: February 02/02/20, 12:27:54 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
As usual a-nudder Gastronomical post from Fartblossom
:Clap:

There; I done fixed it fer ya,Lee!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
All of my small engines and boat motors only get non-oxy.  Which around here means it is also the high octane.  I have had almost zero problems since I started doing it.  Otherwise it was cleaning carbs, filters etc. every year. 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I think a lot of the fuel talk and worries is just old guys yelling at the clouds! An't no one driving a Nitro Dragster around anyway!

I just pull up, put in the cheapest price gas at the pump in my SUV, car, boat, snowmobile, 4 wheeler, lawn mowers, snowblower, ice auger, leaf blower, weed wacker, chainsaw all from the same gas be it in town or up north and not a dang one of them don't run on it! Most of it is just keeping up the maintenance on your stuff!  :coffee:
« Last Edit: February 02/02/20, 01:18:00 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And that's why yer stuck driving that little kitty-cat around the yard!  :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
And that's why yer stuck driving that little kitty-cat around the yard!  :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't know if they mentioned non-oxy.  Seems like they only mention regular to premium.  Didn't see the word non-oxy.  I use regular gas 87 in my truck and SUV.  Everything else get non-oxy.  Never had a problem or even needed work on anything I have like the snow blower, lawn mower brush trimmer, chain saw.  My 115 4 stroke Merc also has only seen non-oxy and I changed the spark plug once and it's a 2002.  Runs perfect every year like new.  I think doing this has saved me a lot of money.  good luck.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We've had several issues with 87 in the boat, but none since we switched to non oxy. Actually the non oxy at Leroy's in Bloomington is 91 which I've been using, the pick em up they say to run 89 but I usually go every other with 87..

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Like I've said before we USED to have problems with our Yamaha 115 loading up so bad that I had trouble getting off the lake. After reading through the service manual we have I found that they recommemded 89 octane or less to avoid carbon issues. So I've been using 87 the last couple seasons & had no issues. I looked for 89 octane non-oxy up north with no luck. I did mix in ~ 6 gallons of 91 non-oxy every now & then last season just to see what happened & if I went more than 6 gal/91 to < 15-20 gal/87 the carbon issues returned.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Gunner, you won't find any non-oxy below 92 octane...trust me. Been dealing with that for years with my buddies that have vintage machines and are in the car shows.  Used to be VP of SMSA.  Here's a list of places to buy, just for te heck of it.

https://msra.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Non-oxy-May.pdf

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The M & H station in GR, right on Hwy 2, where we get most of our gas because they give you a discount if you go inside to pay advertises there's as 91 octane. As do most all the other stations up there. :scratch: Non -oxy is much cheaper, .20-.40, in town than out by the lake but the 87 is usually ~ the same.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
It's cheaper?! Non-oxy? It's usually about 30 cents more a gallon......mayhap I misread yer post.... :scratch:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 Yeah, non -oxy is much cheaper in town than out by the lake but ethanol is ~ the same

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Gunner, you won't find any non-oxy below 92 octane...trust me. Been dealing with that for years with my buddies that have vintage machines and are in the car shows.  Used to be VP of SMSA.  Here's a list of places to buy, just for te heck of it.

https://msra.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Non-oxy-May.pdf

reb non oxy at kwit trip in my little town says 91oct not that that makes a diff,also my 1st muscel car 1965 goat with a 389 really barked when I went to the crystal airport and filled her up with 105 oct flight fuel to race in mpls on lake street ,then i burned up the heads...but she got rubber in all 4 gears.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
91, 92.....it won't go below that. It can't. legally it's then not premium, which ALL non-oxy is. Fact!  Ya, the Av-gas is an old trick, Great way to fry the pi$$ outta those valves and slugs!   Especially running a 12:1 comp ratio...*KERBLOOEY*  :doah: 'Course, ya could always be brave and throw in a shot of nitro-methane....... :rotflmao: :shocked:

« Last Edit: February 02/03/20, 02:54:47 PM by Rebel SS »