Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Big Thunder Lake  (Read 2408 times)

Offline fishing32wild

• Outdoorsman
Crappie action remains steady as the summer starts to warm the water, frequent storm patterns have also provoked blooms and has muddied up the water.  For those chasing elusive eyes on Thunder remember that its always a good idea to have a couple white shad raps handy, another pattern that I like for this particular lake is iridescent orange, something holographic and that will carry a lot of shimmer works well too, keep in mind however there are an abundance of big pike looming out there so I like using braid such as fireline crystal. 

For the crappies, its always a good idea to sort your fish, Thunder lake holds a good amount of trophy size crappies so its a good time to practice your catch and release.  To get hooked use blue colored tube jigs with a white jig head 1/32 ounce in size, however windy days that should be a 1/16.  Work the sharp edges of main lake basins but don't forget to check bays and tucks behind islands.  They loom around those locations suspended and there are always opportunities. 

Walleye's are most definitely finicky on this lake during the time period, they need to be coaxed into biting, I like using a three inch sucker or redtail specifically because anything else will get bit by rock bass, sunfish or perch, to catch these good sized eaters and trophies you need to keep the bait bigger.  Also, jigging still remains a soft go to for me and if I can find a small batch of shiners, GOOD SHINERS!  Then of course that is always a staple, gold and green are my two favorites as far as colors are concerned!

Slow death me please!  Work it! Why? Because is freaking works solid and when covering these tight breaks stay heavy with your bottom bouncer, like 1-1/2 to 2 ounce.  Also to keep it off the bottom, try a black float.  It'll allow that bait to hover off the break, and remember use your electronics, whether its a vexilar or helix 10 use it and trust it, I target specific fish and catch them on this lake!  I am not looking for schools because these fish are in wolfpack's.  Don't expect monster numbers, however I have had a few good days! 

So if you are in the area and want to get on a fisherman's lake, this is a great option for your next outing, as for me I will be chasing muskies and walleyes around leech and Winnie for the next while so expect a good report for those bodies! Keep it real! Keep the Feel and Happy Hookin'

Matt Larson
Larson Guide Service

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Thanks for the report!  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!