Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: This Heat Sucks!  (Read 6314 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Another day of this crap on the horizon. :puke:
I hear ya JB. according to WeatherBug we got 10 more days of this. :angry2: lowest high I seen was 85. YUCK.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Had enough outside yesterday that I don't know about today.  Maybe later on it will cool down before dark???   Not hardly a breeze here now.  Ugly!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
80*/73% RH & no breeze, feels like 85* already. :pouty:
« Last Edit: July 07/03/20, 09:01:00 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just hit 89 here. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just got an air quality alert for this area. Went out after some lunch and finished weeding the garden. Sure didn't take long to get warm.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah HD no way could I handle that these days :crazy:, that was probably 30+ years ago.
And that is why my parents beat it into us to get an education

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It just got windy here and clouded up.  Just looked and JB has some bad stuff gonna hit him in a few minutes.  Looks like it will go to the north of us. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Think this heat and humidity hot the best of me today. :confused: :surrender: not feeling so hot.  Wax out and about alot today. Some of the kids and grandkids are here and I just ain't got it. I'm in the AC the rest of the night.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yeah HD no way could I handle that these days :crazy:, that was probably 30+ years ago.

I wish my engineering degree would keep me out of the heat!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
When them storms came thru last night the wind picked up and the temp dropped like 20 degrees. Sure felt good. We would open the windows in between the rain to cool the house down. Made it much more comfortable. Hoping today isn't as hot as yesterday.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Think this heat and humidity hot the best of me today. :confused: :surrender: not feeling so hot.  Wax out and about alot today. Some of the kids and grandkids are here and I just ain't got it. I'm in the AC the rest of the night.
:doofus: :pouty: Sometimes that's the only way :bonk: :banghead: some people learn. :rolleyes: Heatstroke can be serious stuff!! :tut: Sounds like you better practice a little more of that retirement stuff today.  ;) :laugh: :laugh:                                       
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Man it's butt ugly out there. :confused:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

Maybe wrong kind of engineer? 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

The wrong type would be those woosies in the air conditioned office, not a hands on one out on the floor.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I did go back out to mow the backyard about 11:30.  Backyard here is a PITA so it's always the last part mowed. Took the better part of two hours & I was gassed. Parked it for the afternoon until choretime. Just glad I wasn't stuck up in a haymow this afternoon stacking bales like the good old days.  :bonk:
« Last Edit: July 07/05/20, 04:40:32 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Got a couple things I need to do outside yet. Gonna pace myself.  :evil:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

The wrong type would be those woosies in the air conditioned office, not a hands on one out on the floor.

Got some of those in my profession too HD. Think they can tell sitting at a computer in an air conditioned office what's going on in a field based on satellite or drone imagery. Between all the false reads that turn out to be shadows, clouds or simply wet spots & the inability to identify insects as small as soybean aphids on the undersides of leaves, I'd say there's still a need for boots on the ground even when it isn't 75 and sunny.  :rolleyes:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

Depends on how much you like noise and heat.   Me, not so much.   I did my hands on in an air conditioned lab.       
But to each his own.  Our whole mfg facility was air conditioned as well.

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I did go back out to Just glad I wasn't stuck up in a haymow this afternoon stacking bales like the good old days.  :bonk:
It always seemed to be that the time to put up hay (or straw) was always the hottest and most humid days of the sommer. We didn’t bale, we chopped, and the fine dust stuck to your sweat. You could blow your nose for the next week ant it was green. Don’t miss those days, but it sure made you appreciate a cold drink of water.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Depends on how much you like noise and heat.   Me, not so much.   I did my hands on in an air conditioned lab.       

I guess that's why our facility is a "World Class Die Cast Facility" and government deemed "Essential"....all engineering is required to be hands on..... We are required to improve our processes by being on the floor....if you're sitting in the office, your not contributing to the enhancement of the company. Granted, we are an ESOP (employee owned company) ...so, it's in our best interest to improve our processes.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

I guess that's why our facility is a "World Class Die Cast Facility" and government deemed "Essential"....all engineering is required to be hands on..... We are required to improve our processes by being on the floor....if you're sitting in the office, your not contributing to the enhancement of the company. Granted, we are an ESOP (employee owned company) ...so, it's in our best interest to improve our processes.

We did 6 sigma and won malcolm baldridge award.  Just different products.  Ours could be air conditioned. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

We did 6 sigma and won malcolm baldridge award.  Just different products.  Ours could be air conditioned.

We're all black belts in 6 Sigma.... what else you got?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea so.... :tut: :doofus: I know Kung Fu and 6 other Chinese words. :mooning: :mooning: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I know kung pao & chow mein. Does that count?  :confused: 

I did go back out to Just glad I wasn't stuck up in a haymow this afternoon stacking bales like the good old days.  :bonk:
It always seemed to be that the time to put up hay (or straw) was always the hottest and most humid days of the sommer. We didn’t bale, we chopped, and the fine dust stuck to your sweat. You could blow your nose for the next week ant it was green. Don’t miss those days, but it sure made you appreciate a cold drink of water.

I can about imagine. Watch my neighbors fill their Harvestore but I keep my distance on purpose. Everything looks green. Still looks like a lot of work. Takes all the fun out of waiting for hay to get dry enough to bale though.  :scratch: You're right about the heat. I don't recall ever dressing warm. The thing that probably trumped baling tho was those old guys on the threshing crews, especially those stacking the straw as it came out of the blower. Dad claimed barley was the worst. Dusty & pieces of those long, fine beards got into everything. A coworker & I threshed barley with a stationary thresher for the plot work we were involved in when I was at the U. It was hot, miserable & itchy. We drank a case of Special Export on an empty stomach. Next day was miserable too.  :doah:       
« Last Edit: July 07/05/20, 08:04:49 PM by Dotch »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Do folks still use Harvestores?  I remember when they were the thing for farmers.. Then there were the lawsuits and all that, and now I don't see so many.   I wondered what the current thing was since I still see a few along 52 heading north.   

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
There are some still in use but I haven't seen a new one go up in a long time. The last one in the area was probably the one down the road at the neighbors & that was back in the early 1990's. They were in dairy then got out, then got beef cows. A lot of them tended to be associated with dairy where I grew up. I know of some over by Pemberton that were primarily for beef & where I was in ND right out of college there was a beef customer of mine in the Turtle Mountains that had 8 of them. Harvestores stuck out like a sore thumb up there. He had ~700 brood cows. When the farm crisis hit back in the 80's Harvestores were nicknamed "blue tombstones". The company would put the farm operation name or farmer's name on them. A lot of the operations owning Harvestores went broke, hence the nickname. Apparently there is a company still making and selling them. I suspect they've priced themselves out of the market given the sheer size of some of today's operations and the razor thin margins they operate on. Lots more bags & bunkers than there used to be vs. silos of any kind, period.

https://www.cstindustries.com/harvestore-silos-storage-manufacturer/#:~:text=Harvestore%20silos%20that%20are%20over%2065%20years%20old%20are%20still%20performing%20today.