Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Dishwasher  (Read 2532 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Our dishwasher went  berserk tonight,  if you had to buy one, what brand? One we have is a Frigidaire   :doah: not impressed.

Gonna check with a local appliance repair  outfit,  it may just be a control issue???? :scratch:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a Maytag. And it has been good until May. Right after I ripped up my knee. Still need to troubleshoot it. But from videos on YouTube it seems like it is control board. Look on YouTube Glen. You can probably figure it out yourself.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a Kenmore down here & a GE up north. We had a control board issue with this 1 but the repairman that came out to fix it did it for free. It was a display unit & he said the issue should been taken care of before it was delivered . Besides, it was a real EZ fix.
« Last Edit: December 12/05/23, 06:51:32 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have had a Whirlpool for about 5 years and really like it.  It does have a small spot of rust on the front that bugs me though.  Not covered under warranty.   Our clothes washer quit working and online I found a video on how to fix it with just a $40 part.  Easy to do also.  A control switch thing. 

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I have built numerous sets of kitchen cabinets and I only built one set without a dishwasher. That was mine. I dont believe in them. We do a much better job hand washing.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Look on YouTube Glen. You can probably figure it out yourself.
G'luck.  It ain't ALWAYS that easy.

We had a washer go bad.  I Googled the YouTube, found a video that matched the error code, ordered the part they showed me how to replace, installed the part, felt like a million bucks, patted myself on the back, started the washer... same error.

Called a repairman.  They replace the same motor controller board.  Nothing.  They replaced the mail control board.  Nothing.  They tried everything.  Nothing.  Their parts were returnable (no extra cost), but I paid for the service call, my $300 motor control board was NOT returnable, AND I ended up buying a new washer anyway. 

I know the Google can show you how to fix a lot of things, but it isn't always a slam dunk.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
We have a dishwasher,  the water and waisted from rinsing of the dishes, one could just as well has wash. And ya gota empty it too.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man I wouldn't be without one. Such a good place to put the dirty dishes till there is enough to turn it on.  Then just put them away when you feel like it.  No sink full of dirty dishes. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I hear ya Barry. My Mom got a portable in 1963. Other than a few years in college, I haven't been without one since. Presently we have the same Maytag installed when we remodeled ~ 15 years ago. There was a recall on it that they sent someone out to replace whatever the issue was. Other than that, it's worked well. I think roony must just like fooling around with his dishwasher... :scratch:
« Last Edit: December 12/05/23, 09:07:27 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      As soon as we closed on this house, my wife pointed to the dishwasher and said "Get that out of here". She won't have one. We also don't have a microwave.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Our dishwasher went  berserk tonight...
Sorry to hear that.  By the way...

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a portable one, just holds pots and pans...   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
If the wife did the dishes every day so the kitchen wasn't a mess we wouldn't need a dishwasher.  :rotflmao: I am just too darn busy to deal with dishes manually.  I am sort of responsible to keep the kitchen clean.   :sleazy:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
When I am at someone's home and see what their water glasses look like it reaffirms my opinion of dishwashers. It is only the two of us and neither of us is too lazy to properly wash dishes. When the kids were still home it was just something we did after eating. Good family time.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
If the wife did the dishes every day so the kitchen wasn't a mess we wouldn't need a dishwasher.  :rotflmao: I am just too darn busy to deal with dishes manually.  I am sort of responsible to keep the kitchen clean.   :sleazy:

yea don't want to miss reading and nap time!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm the primary person doing meal prep. Guess who also typically gets stuck cleaning up the mess? As far as how our dishwasher works, it's crucial to stay on top of the water softener, something I'm also responsible for. The rinse aid stuff is important too. In Bugtussle at the office with no water softener, it makes no difference. Wash coffee mugs & silverware in the sink, rinse, let them air dry in the rack & they look awful. The then owner had a dishwasher a few years ago and the dishes looked the same.

Roony brings up a good point. Properly doing dishes in the sink is a point of contention. When in college, we banned one roommate from doing them. He was not house broken. The dishes usually got scared by the lukewarm water and put put back in the drawer or cupboard wet with pieces of food still on them. After my other roomie and I both became violently ill, that was enough of that crap. Wife is not as fussy as I am either. Always in a hurry as if there's a medal for seeing how fast they can be done. Not going to happen if they're run through a dishwasher operated properly. I don't have time to play Russian roulette.     
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I never wasted my money on that rinse aid stuff but I do now.  It really helps.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'm no applaince repair guy.......we got a fixit guy coming thursday. if its the pump its $250.00 if its the control boat 450.00.

i'm not afraid to wash dishes by hand, do it all the time at the cabin. this dishwasher worked really good for a long time, then seemed to start going downhill, wonder if it started issues back then and wondered if we loaded it to full.  :scratch: just looked it was new in 2017. we'll see after it gets fixed?????/

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
     I did go to school for appliance repair and I don't like working on them. That was over 25 years ago. They're probably worse now.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Worse... and better.  Now when you have a problem, they just replace the whole control board instead of trying to figure out which component might have fried.

In the saga of my washing machine...  after trying to replace both boards, the repairman started to do continuity checks on all the wires - or at least the ones he could get at.  He found some wires where the cheap- :moon: insulation had worn off from rubbing in the spin cycle.  He fixed those, but still no go.  That could have been part of the problem, but perhaps there were more shorts or opens.  Replacement wiring harnesses were no longer available, so it was time for a new washer.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
glenn57, you never indicated what symptoms your dishwasher was having. If it's the circulation pump (very common issue) you can get the part on Amazon for under $60 and it's an easy fix.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We replaced our Kenmoore with a Whirlpool.....Total junk, the newer dishwashers don't have a heating coil to "conserve" energy. We have to PRE-wash our dishes before we wash them...  :banghead:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
i'm no applaince repair guy.......we got a fixit guy coming thursday. if its the pump its $250.00 if its the control boat 450.00.

i'm not afraid to wash dishes by hand, do it all the time at the cabin. this dishwasher worked really good for a long time, then seemed to start going downhill, wonder if it started issues back then and wondered if we loaded it to full.  :scratch: just looked it was new in 2017. we'll see after it gets fixed?????/
250- 450 for starters.  What's a new one worth these days anyhow?

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
We replaced our Kenmoore with a Whirlpool.....Total junk, the newer dishwashers don't have a heating coil to "conserve" energy. We have to PRE-wash our dishes before we wash them...  :banghead:

I made that same mistake.  Just about put the old one back in and ordered a new door skin to make it look newer.   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

250- 450 for starters.  What's a new one worth these days anyhow?
a quick search.......from 280 to 1600!!!!!!!!! and pretty sure the low cost ones are just that....junk.

deadeye........we started the thing as usual.........been making odd noises. then i noticed it had like 30 minutes and what appeared to be a red exclamation point and quit working. i messed with the buttons then it seemed to start......and sound like it wanted to drain??????? i ended up having to shut off the breaker last nite. flipped it on this afternoon, same crap.

like i said i dont do appliance repair and would rather pay a person who does it for a living and do it right, then me trying to do it and end up costing more!!! :doofus: beides i dont, wont  do Amazon!!! i've played around on it a few times, just makes my head hurt!!! :confused: :doah:

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
We went Bosch at the cabin and love it. I’ll be replacing ours at home with a Bosch as well. The weirdest thing I love about it is how dry the dishes get. The dimple on top of glass on the last two we owned always had water on top. The Bosch always came out dry. Sometimes it’s the little things.
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our old clothes washer had all of the bells and whistles.  It didn't last long.  Then I got an Amana for about $500 that was fairly basic and we like it.  Other than that control module that I fixed.  Our Whirlpool dishwasher is real quiet and we like it too.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
glen57, sounds like it broke to me. Probably some electrical control board but who knows. I am not an appliance repair person but spent most of my working day diagnosing and repairing electrical/mechanical devices.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
glen57, sounds like it broke to me. Probably some electrical control board but who knows. I am not an appliance repair person but spent most of my working day diagnosing and repairing electrical/mechanical devices.
:happy1: guess i'll find out tomorrow!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
tech guy was here and gone already.......99 bucks and about 20 minutes later.  :scratch: :doah:

he used 2 0f our Q tips, cleaned out a bunch of kunk underneath the 2 drain screens, some sensor i had no idea. he even said not many know about it and ran across this about 3 years ago. took 8 hours to figure it out.

running some dishwasher cleaner threw it now!!!!!