Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Coyote/fox hunting questions  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Jesse

• Outdoorsman
I'm interested in starting to hunt for predators, mainly coyotes and red fox (although I sure don't mind shooting feral cats any time that I see them, either.)

I'm looking for tips on how to go about hunting for these animals.  Any recommendations on setups, types of calls to use, locations, best times to hunt, etcetera would be greatly appreciated.  I'm located in the north metro area.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
 Well to start with the location, any place where predators are likely to be is good. That could be woods, creek bottom, swamp, brush land, even crp field. Although I don't really care for the crp field thing, if it's the only cover around from the rest of land being tilled it could produce.

One of my favorites is a corn field b4 it's picked. Most people don't realize that a predator has no reason to leave a corn field. They have cover and food all right there as the mice, rabbitts, pheasant, heck everything eats corn. Granted cornfields are picked now but keep it in mind next fall.

Set up is a big factor in your success and the hardest to explain. The terrain and the weather both play into where to  set up. Predators have a tendancy to circle down wind to scent the prey(or so they think) if using a partner it not a bad idea to have one down wind from the caller.

I'll try to position myself with an open area between me and the cover I'm calling. I prefer a slight cross wind but have called into and with the wind. When it's cold scent doesn't carry as well, so right now it might not even be much of a factor them scenting you. Try to pick your stand in an elevated location but not directly on top of a hill, you'll stick out like a sore thumb. Just need something to break up your outline. A little brush or tall grass, I've even used a wooden fence post to hunker down behind.

When it comes to calls the easiest would be the electronic ones. You can get many different sounds for them. The one draw back to them is the colder it gets the more problems you'll have with them. I don't own one my self but have used them without a problem. I've also heard reports about people claiming problems in the cold with them.

Mouth blown are by far cheaper and are not that difficult to use. It is my opinion that the sequence thats used on a call is more important than the actual sound thats made. I lucked out early on, I had the experience of hearing a cottontail give his death wail. So I kinda just try to imitate that.

The sequence I use only lasts about 20 seconds. Start out with a few good wails followed by a half dozen or better that taper off in length and volume. Then about a second long break then a good wail followed by a couple weak short ones. Then just sit and watch for something coming in. After a couple minutes repeat the sequence. Remember you don't need to impress any judges with your calling just give the critter an idea theres a free meal to be had.

It's only neccessary to sit on a stand for about 15 to 20 minutes. Others claim they like to sit a half an hr thou.

They can be called at any time of the day or night. The laws in MN make night calling only pratical with snow cover and a full moon. So I'd have to say dawn and dusk.

Since your new at this you might want to get a video to watch. They can help you out a bunch and give you a bit of confidence in what your doing. If you decide to get a video don't be overly impressed with the ones that are claiming actual kills. I have watch a few and one of the guys in particular was trying to impress people with his marksmanship. IMO

I hope that answered your ?'s. If you have anymore just feel free to ask. Good luck!
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jesse

• Outdoorsman
Wow, thanks for the help, Griz!  I printed off your reply so I can refer back to it in the field.  Those tips will help a lot.

I have a Johnny Stewart PreyMaster call (digital) that I use for turkeys, and I was thinking about buying one of the coyote/predator chips to use in it.  Do you think there's any value in setting up the speaker away from me?  It has a 60-foot cord to use for remote access.  I'm wondering if all the moving around to set up the remote would just give the coyotes & foxes a better chance to bust me.  What's your opinion?

Thanks again for the advice!   

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes it would help by setting up the caller away from you. Then thier attention wouldn't be focused directly on you. When you do this just be as quite as possible and give it a few minutes b4 starting the caller. Just a little time for things to kinda settle down is all thats needed.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline KATOMAN

• Outdoorsman
How much is a pelt worth?

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
hey griz i couldent of said it better myself :happy1: