Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Do coyotes kill fox?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
The other day when I went settin out beaver traps I found the answer. Not once but twice. Happened the night b4. Camera was too cold to work for the second one but first one came out. Might not show too well but can see some tracks where a couple yotes got em pinned out on the ice. I let him be as the crows had ruined the pelt. Never actually found a kill like that b4 then found 2 in one day bout a mile apart.

So here's the answer.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
i'v never seen this yet Griz ..
just how many holes were in the pelt ?
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline eelpout

• Outdoorsman
I don't think there is much that a pack of coyotes wont "try" to kill.  Still, I would rather walk up on a pack of coyotes than a pack of wild dogs. 
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't know how many holes were in the fox but the one slightly bigger than a football in his belly right in front of his hips was enough to tell me it wasn't worth trying to salvage.

What I didn't tell ya was this happened sometime between 9:00 PM and 9:00AM the next morning. How do I know this? A buddy and I were fishing there the night b4. My fish house is prolly 150 ft behind me when I took this pic. I think I'd have heard a comotion if it had happened while we were there.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline h2ofwlr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Buzz at 8 MOs
Coyotes definately will kill Foxes.  They view the Fox as tresspassing in their territory.

In MN, with the repopulation of coyotes in the farmland areas over the last 30 years, they have made a diffirence to the upland nesting bird population.   A Coyotes territory is 3 to 4 times the size of a Fox is.  So ducks which nest in upland grsses and the obvious pheasants that do to, all benefit as if they nest within a coyote pairs territiry, they have 70% less risk of a Red Fox finding them on the nest being the Coyotes have killed or chased them off, and thus the result is more broods being hatched for the upland bird nestings species.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks I am.

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yes coyotes will kill fox, or at least push them out of an area. I haven't seen many fox where i used to but i have seen and taken plenty of yotes.