Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 1st trail cam picture  (Read 4590 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
We had a surprise on the trail cam.  This is a first for us.  Does anyone know what variety this crane is?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks kinds like a Sandhill Crane... but im not 100% sure.  They are around the midwest about this time and head up to Canada for the winter.  Must have been making the trip up.

Thats my best guess, but once again, im not 100% sure.

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Looks like a Sandy to me. See them all through the summer in the sparse hay fields out in the open up in Aitkin Co.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline DroptineDC18

• Outdoorsman
I agree with everyone. It is a sandhill. I have seen them up close while turkey hunting in central WI.
"One of the most common causes of failure is the habit of quitting when one is overtaken by temporary defeat." -Napoleon Hill

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Yup, it's definetly a sandhill crane.

I got um all over my property.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I agree too!   ;D

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Great picture! Those things are crazy looking. Just don't quite seem like they belong here.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like a Sandhill.  I hear they cook as well as Loon....  :rotflmao:
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Has anyone heard the sounds they make? Good lord it's enough to freak you out the first time you hear it!

Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
I read somewhere recently that it's the loudest call of any bird. Not sure of the source.
Also I'm used to seeing them in an open grassland. I think the shot of one in a wooded site makes it look even bigger.
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Doug there is a small food plot behind the cam. 

Is there going to be a season for them this year?  And if so, what do they taste like, bald eagle or rattle snake?

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op

Is there going to be a season for them this year?  And if so, what do they taste like, bald eagle or rattle snake?

Believe it or not, there is a sandy season somewhere. I can't for the life of me remember where or what state, maybe it's Nodak, or Texas?
-WC Fields

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman

Ah so that's why he's hanging out in the woods.

Well let's see. It's a bird so therefore it's related to a pterodactyl and - therefore it's related to a reptile - I'm going with rattlesnake.
And I think Lex is right - maybe Canada - there must be a zillion of them up there.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I believe SoDak has a season...........

But, no season here yet.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

Believe it or not, there is a sandy season somewhere. I can't for the life of me remember where or what state, maybe it's Nodak, or Texas?

Texas has one.  In fact, you need to purchase a SH Crane stamp to shoot I believe two per day.  We weren't able to get any close enough to drop.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
They might be good smoked! :happy1:

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Randy, Is everything good smoked or lathered in BBQ sauce?