Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Burbot: a sought-after game fish  (Read 2789 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Burbot: a sought-after game fish

Jump on the burbot bandwagon! That’s right, many anglers seek out and enjoy catching burbot. These fish are known as very good table fare that can have a consistency similar to lobster. The state record burbot was a 19 pound, 10 ounce fish caught in 2016 on Lake of the Woods.

Burbot are no longer considered rough fish in the Minnesota fishing regulations and the species will be listed as a game fish in the 2022 Minnesota fishing regulations booklet available this March.

Please remember that if you are not planning to use the burbot you catch, release it for others to enjoy — the same goes for any other fish you catch. It is illegal to leave fish on the ice. Also remember to check for any special regulations that apply to burbot on the water where you're fishing.

More details: In-Fisherman magazine on burbot fishing https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDEsInVyaSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMjAxMjEuNTIxNzc1OTEiLCJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL3d3dy5pbi1maXNoZXJtYW4uY29tL2VkaXRvcmlhbC9pY2UtZmlzaGluZy1mb3ItYnVyYm90LzE1NDcwOSJ9.m5f9Q-LR6Vt2ky95rXzbmMn2Xlte4STQH2vm3HN5VC8/s/6012527/br/125467588663-l
Photo thanks to Joe Henry
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: so who woulda thunk ole ROBERT would grow up to be a game fish?? :scratch: :doah: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

You be talkin' about boar's therapy fish... :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
So now that the DNR suddenly values these slimy, snaky buggers, we can't call 'em eelpout any more?  :confused:

They have to have a fancy French name?  Pardon me, did you catch and Gray Burbot?

In all seriousness - I'll eat the next one I catch.  I like cod.  Why wouldn't I like burbot?

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Funny i just cut up a robert last night. Best eating fish thats in fresh water
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so you let fish rot for 4 days before cleaning them?? :confused: :scratch: :doah:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yup and i ground it up with roadkill juat for yu!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup and i ground it up with roadkill juat for yu!
nummy!!! :mooning:

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Burbot, Ling, Lawyers, Pout, Destitute man's lobster. I love them. Thirty years ago Eelpout which are the most graceful swimming fish in Minnesota were thrown on the ice to rot. After the word spread of what fine table fare they are most lakes have been decimated of the worlds only true gamefish.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Burbot, Ling, Lawyers, Pout, Destitute man's lobster. I love them. Thirty years ago Eelpout which are the most graceful swimming fish in Minnesota were thrown on the ice to rot. After the word spread of what fine table fare they are most lakes have been decimated of the worlds only true gamefish.

Gotta agree Ken,lawyers we always called them lawyers,40 years ago out on the mud flats on mille lacs lake,skid houses would have piles of these fish stacked like cord wood,ran in to local natives one day crusing shanty towns picking these fish up by the truck load,native feller back then said they were better eating than walleye,we passed figuring the old elder was pulling our leg,but he was spot on as we found out years later,fried or boiled/steamed good eats.