Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2023 Gardens  (Read 38718 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Posted the last pic in the 2022 gardens thread so figured we'd get a new one going. Made some headway since Dec. on the left. The one on the right is very much alive, the bulb is firm, it has some green color and if you examine it closely there is a leaf just starting to poke thru the old tissue.

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i got a Jungs catalog a few weeks ago!!!!! :rolleyes: :whistling: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You should plant your snow peas!  :coffee:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I just ordered a tree from the Gurney's catalog... :)
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is great Dotch.  Refresh us on what it is?  Sure growing great.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It's getting close!! :rotflmao: they had them out at runnings, I thought why not!👍

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
red kohlrabi??  not sure I have seen that, or purple I have.. 

good eats this summer!!!  and fall!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

that's what i thought to and i thought..why not!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

that's what i thought to and i thought..why not!!!!!!!!

I'll take 2 for sure!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Posted the last pic in the 2022 gardens thread so figured we'd get a new one going. Made some headway since Dec. on the left. The one on the right is very much alive, the bulb is firm, it has some green color and if you examine it closely there is a leaf just starting to poke thru the old tissue.

Googled it.  Nice looking plant.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."

Actually no red Kohlrabi.....The packet says purple. I have grown both.....Early White Vienna is better. Looks like you have enough  Vienna for the summer Glenn.

Never heard of Livingston Seed.
« Last Edit: January 01/14/23, 08:47:47 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I like my kalarabi! :happy1:

I've seen it before, Livingston seeds, but needed to try something different. Especially the kalarabi, I haven't had very good garden stuff the past few years.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
the livington seeds where 1.89 a pack for most......a couple where 1,99. i stayed away from the organic rack. my kalarabi the last 2-3 years seemed to have alot of odd plants that never formed the ball!!!!!!!!!! :doah: :scratch: so i decided to go with a different provider!!!

i did pretty good considering i didnt have my list. need 1 more pack of carrots but i did double up on spinach and lettuce!!!!! :pouty: so i may do a fall planting of that!!!!!!

i decided last year i want going to plant cabbage........i just cant seem to get decent heads on them........i may change my mind as i need to make soup mix and saurkraut........but cabbage is fairly inexpensive.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Livingston Seeds is a large supplier to stores such as FF & Runnings. Also think I've purchased their seed at the local hardware store. Their prices are reasonable & depending on the seed, the quantity per packet usually generous. Almost always cheaper than Burpee's or Ferry Morse when buying at FF. Typically been pleasantly surprised with the Livingston seeds we've bought. Saw the seed was out at FF the other day. Was on a mission getting things to mail to glenn so didn't get a chance to peruse them.  :azn:

https://livingstonseed.com/
« Last Edit: January 01/15/23, 02:12:12 PM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Livingston Seeds is a large supplier to stores such as FF & Runnings. Also think I've purchased their seed at the local hardware store. Their prices are reasonable & depending on the seed, the quality per packet usually generous. Almost always cheaper than Burpee's or Ferry Morse when buying at FF. Typically been pleasantly surprised with the Livingston seeds we've bought.
 Saw the seed was out at FF the other day. Was on a mission getting things to mail to glenn so didn't get a chance to peruse them.  :azn:
https://livingstonseed.com/
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I have ordered all my seeds for this year from......
Pinetree
Holmes
Urban Farmer

I prefer planting Hybrids except for some tomatoes and melons because I keep the seeds from them. Seed racks in stores usually don't sell hybrids.
« Last Edit: January 01/15/23, 10:47:21 AM by KEN W »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I have ordered all my seeds for this year from......
Pinetree
Holmes
Urban Farmer

I prefer planting Hybrids except for some tomatoes and melons because I keep the seeds from them. Seed racks in stores usually don't sell hybrids.
i didnt pay much attention at runnings yesterday.....but i think they had a rack with hybrids!!!! :scratch:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They have hybrids at FF. The mom & pops not as much perhaps but they have more limited space & selection. Sometimes hybrids are a good thing. I bought some green dragon cukes there 3 years ago. Was pleased with their performance & plant them every year now. Sometimes I've bought hybrids only to wish I hadn't. Honeybear squash was a prime example. One and done. Sheep feed. 🐑

Garden is in somewhat of a holding pattern depending on the wife's progress & spring soil moisture. Will plant the area we had last year for sure. Whether I tear up more pasture & nearly double the garden area depends on those factors. Would like to expand for rotational/disease/insect management purposes. Unfortunately vine crops take a lot of room & a 3 year rotation minimum.

« Last Edit: January 01/15/23, 06:59:22 PM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
They have hybrids at FF. The mom & pops not as much perhaps but they have more limited space & selection. Sometimes hybrids are a good thing. I bought some green dragon cukes there 3 years ago. Was pleased with their performance & plant them every year now. Sometimes I've bought hybrids only to wish I hadn't. Honeybear squash was a prime example. One and done. Sheep feed. 🐑

Garden is in somewhat of a holding pattern depending on the wife's progress & spring soil moisture. Will plant the area we had last year for sure. Whether I tear up more pasture & nearly double the garden area depends on those factors. Would like to expand for rotational/disease/insect management purposes. Unfortunately vine crops take a lot of room & a 3 year rotation minimum.
:confused: :doah: wadda mean.......with all that spare time you got....... skip all then gunsmoke episodes and naps........and you got this!!!!!!

:sleazy: :sleazy: :happybounce: :nerd: :nerd: :super smiley: :super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll:

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I'm going to try broccoli this year for the first time.   What do I need to know?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
From seed????  Shop light or grow light. Seeds.  Potting soil. Containers.

Start in a flower pot. Transfer to 4 or 6 packs.

I have been growing my own for 40 some years.....Questions.....just ask.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd get the plant from a green house!👌 But that's me

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's what we did the many decades the wife worked at greenhouses. There was always stuff getting tossed at the end of the season or crippled packs with plants missing. Price was right so why not?  :confused:

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Hate to sound like a idiot, but i've done that before.
Would one of these have enough dirt in them to grow veggies? Thinking pea's, carrots, beans, maybe potatoes. With all the Deer around here I thought I might try one of these. Thought of putting it up on the deck where the Deer can't get at it.  They come in different lengths. I'm not doing a huge garden like you guys. I thought just something small to give it a try.

Thoughts.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/galvanized-horse-bunk-feeder-5-ft-l

TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
interesting    :scratch:

GF gave a 5 pak of 5 gallon grow bags for christmas..  I'm thinking 4 maters and one jalapeno pepper
« Last Edit: January 01/19/23, 12:09:01 PM by mike89 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Dutch I have a appx 165 gallon horse water tank type of thing you can have.  It was used for gardening by a friend and he quit doing it.  Black plastic.  Maybe put chunks of wood or rocks in the bottom so it doesn't take as much dirt.  It's yours if you want it. Probably froze under snow now but in the spring you can have it. Actually I have 2 of them.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes.....one of those would work. 9 inches deep is plenty. BUT....you will need to drill holes in the bottom to let it drain. Should be easy to do since it is plastic. You could probably grow anything in there you want except probably corn.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The last few years we have used landscaping fabric around the cukes and elsewhere. It has cut down on weeding considerably. Lucky Warden!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Thanks everybody, Barry I may take you up on the offer if this winter ever ends.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That should work nicely. And the deer will be happy they won't need to bend over as far to reach it.  ;)
Hey look your bobber is up!