Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2024 gardens  (Read 11394 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I'm a sucker for pussy willows riding shot gun also Dotch,  don't think I've used a bungee cord to keep em honest tho... ;)
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Time to go out and prune trees before the buds break. Early this year. Have 5 apple trees and 3 plums trees to prune.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'm a sucker for pussy willows riding shot gun also Dotch,  don't think I've used a bungee cord to keep em honest tho... ;)

The bungee strap is on there to keep my metal clipboard/file folder thingy strapped down when I'm out soil sampling. Not such a big deal when you're in the field. When you're running down the road tho, best have it clamped down or there will be papers scattered all over the ditch. Experience speaking... :whistling: 
« Last Edit: March 03/11/24, 11:00:01 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Spring has sprung! Picked the last pussy willows of the season last nite before they got blown over the dam by the warm temps. The miniature daffodils opened up too. Can see a hyacinth in the last picture not far behind.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i stake the 4 corners of the garden for various reasons in the fall. i tried pulling them out yesterday. the 2 that are close to the neighbors fence are still solid in the ground........frost there. the other 2 farthest away i could pull out!!!

i'm not seeing any plant life yet!!!!! i reckon its way warmer down in the banana belt!!! :rolleyes: :rotflmao: where those guys get all the good stuff!!!!! :sleazy:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Didn't notice it when I took the pic but if you look closely at the 2nd photo, slightly below & to the right of the pine cone is one of the January 31st planted radish seedlings. It's like those sasquatch pics we keep trying to convince Leech with... :coffee:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
those heat lamps really help in the cold!!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
You always have the first radish seedlings.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The 2 puddles in the driveway have started to shrink a little the last couple days here. :scratch:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i was able to pull my markers out of the ground today by the fence, but still think there's some frost there!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
i was able to pull my markers out of the ground today by the fence, but still think there's some frost there!!!!!
So G won't be tilling anytime soon?? Lol.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So G won't be tilling anytime soon?? Lol.
:rotflmao: nope! :rotflmao:

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Didn't notice it when I took the pic but if you look closely at the 2nd photo, slightly below & to the right of the pine cone is one of the January 31st planted radish seedlings. It's like those sasquatch pics we keep trying to convince Leech with... :coffee:
Nuaa, that's pretty clear.  Now, go play with your pussy willows, before they blow away!   :coffee:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Forgot to look for the crocuses in the bed by the lilacs until the other day. There was this single & another clump that doesn't appear to have any flower buds on it. Also saw a small garter snake although either a blue jay or Poppy found it 1st. Was crawling around but was missing part of its head...🤔
« Last Edit: March 03/15/24, 04:14:24 PM by Dotch »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I got my plants started..... something to do on a crappy weekend. 😁
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
will you put the plants in bigger pots when there bigger HD???

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Might want to hold off on your third planting Dotch.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
At least wait until the ground thaws again anyway. With the weather forecast, Mrs. Cheviot cut all the daffodils, brought them inside & put them in a vase. Will be covering the rhubarb & some of the spring bulbs that were taking off after last week's warm temps. A 15 degree or lower low could raise hob with them.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
will you put the plants in bigger pots when there bigger HD???

Nope, they'll get transplanted into these raised beds.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman

On east side of house this morning.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You get all the good violas... :pouty:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I admit I don't know much about flowers but we always thought these were pansies. They seed themselves and come back every year. I've never seen one flower this early.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We have some of what Mom used to call Johnny Jump Ups here that just sorta showed up. When I pointed out the Johnny Jump Ups to the resident hort person, she said they were violas. There are scads of different kinds I was informed and she was right. The common ones like we have look like the ones on the attached seed packet pic. Pansies are usually larger and have larger flowers. They were among the first flowers Mom would transplant every spring from the local greenhouse in Spring Valley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_tricolor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansy

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Didn't get quite as cold as advertised last nite but we covered the rhubarb with straw. It took took off especially after watering. Won't be any rhubarb pie for Easter like some years but there were leaves ~4" long on it. Also covered several assorted spring bulb clusters with upside down flower pots along with covering the 5 lupines. Wasn't real sure they'd make it but once it warmed up and they got a little water, they looked like players.   
« Last Edit: March 03/18/24, 01:54:46 PM by Dotch »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Daffodils the Mrs. picked opened up in the past 24 hrs. Given the weather, glad she brought them inside so we could enjoy them. Should also be a positive fir next year as the plants can focus more on vegetative growth, potentially increasing the number of bulbs & blossoms for next sprng.
« Last Edit: March 03/20/24, 10:27:13 AM by Dotch »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks nice Dotch. Has nothing to do with gardening but driving thru our neighborhood today a Trugreen guy was laying out the fertilizer in a couple yards. I know it probably won't hurt,  but don't ya think it's a little early?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We just used up our last red onion from last years garden.   :sleazy:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks nice Dotch. Has nothing to do with gardening but driving thru our neighborhood today a Trugreen guy was laying out the fertilizer in a couple yards. I know it probably won't hurt,  but don't ya think it's a little early?
I think it's to early for it

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

I would sure think it's a little early yet. A lot of these lawn care outfits have no shame though. Their primary goal is to send statements, make it look like they're doing something, ignore problems that arise later and keep sending invoices. Funny you should mention it. I got a letter today from one of the outfits that's noted for their horrible customer service when there are problems. They offered to to fertilize & put down crabgrass killer already, spray broadleaf herbicide and insecticide on the yard all for just $1100! If they think I give a rat's asset about how a lawn looks that can have tractors, wagons, chitspreaders, pickups and livestock trailers driven on parts of it on any given day, they got another think coming.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I could do it for $1000 as a special introductory offer.