Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: The real mission of the DNR  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Babes

• Outdoorsman
  • The Best Little Bait Shop in Ely!
    • Babes Bait & Tackle
O.K. I know this might be a bit controversial, but I believe after many conversations with other fishermen and hunters, that these subjects beg to be addressed.
Out of the millions of dollars annualy allocated to the DNR are we getting our moneys worth? Is the quality of fishing better than it was 10 or 20 years ago? Recently, in a regional publication, I read that there wasn't going to be a problem with lowering the walleye limit from 6 to 4 because most anglers won't even have four "keeper" walleyes at the end of the day. That's terrible!
We see the COs with their new trucks, the latest high tech, crime fighting gadgetry, four wheelers, snowmobiles, decked out boats, etc. etc.. but we can't catch four walleyes?
Are we getting our bang for our bucks?
I was checking on some lake survey data sheets and found that many of them were thirteen to seventeen years old!!!! Did they have a tremendous amount of operating capital back then? Maybe they were busier at trying to propogate the fish, than prosecuting the fishermen.
Don't get me wrong or assign this to me personally, these are just conversations and observations tossed about over the counter in the bait shop. But hey, I'd like to see some of these problems and questions addressed as well.

Babes Bait & Tackle

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I think it's basically a Minnesota thing.  Go duck hunting, only get a few,, it's the DNR's fault.  Go deer hunting and don't get a big one, it's the DNR's fault.  Go fishing and don't limit out.. it's the DNR's fault.  Someone leaves trash at the lake or in the woods, it's the DNR's fault.  Too many tresspassers,, yup DNR's fault.  ATV's wrecking trails, again it's the DNR's fault.  I never thought that if the DNR drove old trucks with a 14 foot jon boat decked out with a 6 hp motor, I would be able to catch a "limit" of walleyes!
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Wagz

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I think the real question here is ... Is the DNR spending the money it gets in the best possible way to enhance AND protect the outdoors

I think the answer is yes and because most people do not know what the words "personal responsibility " they do much more enforcing than enhancing. As outdoormans we need to police ourself ie pick up after yourself, know the limits , take what you can eat and no more, little things done by most of the people can make be changes

Now I am not saying that it is right to throw money at every problem out there but the DNR does need more money and the dedicated funding I feel is the way to go

But I dont think everyone out there will be happy. That fine balance of Lots of Trophies and get eater numbers is very hard to get and you will not see alot of the you need to pick one and managed the lake for it
With the amount of pressure our outdoor resources are getting it is getting tougher and tougher !

This is just my humble opinion though feel free to disagree with me

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I'd say no we aren't getting our $$ worth. I am not trying to say everything is their fault either. As with any branch of goverment alot of $$ is squandered away uselessly. I'm not going to get into to much detail as I have done that on others posts already.

One of the best ways IMO to start would be to buy walleye fry or fingerlings from private bussiness. They can and will do it cheaper. Why do alot of states buy them instead of raise them? It's about half price. Now there are many reasons for that. Most of them deal with no accountablity of the DNR employees. It starts at the bottom and goes all the way to the top.

I will admit this is a sore spot of mine that goes way back, so I get pretty worked up over it.

So here is an open invite to any upper level DNR employees or politicians who really give a rip. PM me with your phone # and the best time to get ahold of you. If your not in a position with the authority to do anything about it don't waste my time.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman

I was checking on some lake survey data sheets and found that many of them were thirteen to seventeen years old!!!! Did they have a tremendous amount of operating capital back then?

Reading this post I see a lot to discuss. The line about lake surveys caught my eye.
So I did a random test I took a common lake name  "Island" and looked up Island Lake  in ten random counties in MN the average  survey was done FIVE years ago as of 2007 the longest being 9 years ago and the last  2 years ago. I am sure there are lakes that need to be updated but saying they are all mostly  10-17 years old may be inaccurate.

Just a thought..  :coffee:
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline orsbar

• Outdoorsman
if you want a good example of the minnesota dnr's  failure let's talk about the "walleye factory"
and their management or missmanagement of that natural resource.
and how the local economy around that lake will be affected by the lack of fishermen not coming to the area because of the ridiculous slot limit's. :moon:   

maybe we should change the name from "walleye factory" to the dead see or dare we say it lower red lake. :whistling:
in case you ere wondering
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) budgeted expenditures for FY 2006-07 is $645.8 million.

just my .02 on that issue

orson

The bottom line is you don't have to support your fellow hunter's choice of weapon but you do have to support your fellow hunter and his right to have that choice !!!!!!!!

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
Well I'd say no we aren't getting our $$ worth. I am not trying to say everything is their fault either. As with any branch of goverment alot of $$ is squandered away uselessly. I'm not going to get into to much detail as I have done that on others posts already.

One of the best ways IMO to start would be to buy walleye fry or fingerlings from private bussiness. They can and will do it cheaper. Why do alot of states buy them instead of raise them? It's about half price. Now there are many reasons for that. Most of them deal with no accountablity of the DNR employees. It starts at the bottom and goes all the way to the top.

I will admit this is a sore spot of mine that goes way back, so I get pretty worked up over it.

So here is an open invite to any upper level DNR employees or politicians who really give a rip. PM me with your phone # and the best time to get ahold of you. If your not in a position with the authority to do anything about it don't waste my time.

dose it have anything to do with trapping??

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Well not really. Most of it has to do with fisheries and the raising of fingerlings. There is no accountability for the use of logic. Yes I guess you could say it has to do with trapping. When I used to trap bait they cost me a pile of money every yr. It wouldn't have bothered me so much if they were successful on the ponds I had leased previously that were ruined by them. I even told them with logical explanations they were wasting thier time. They didn't believe me just blowing me off thinking I was upset at losing a pond.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fish Guide

• Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Fishing Guide Service
Cant resist,  here goes.
 My basic observation/summary.  Basically the DNR is doing a decent job attempting to manage /monitor/ assess etc  11,000 bodies of water whether its for hunting/fishing whatever.  If anglers/hunters are having troubles catching a limit (which should never be the goal) or harvesting wild game its their own fault plain and simple.  It has nothing to do with money on both ends.  IF a lake is in a bad cycle and the populations are down a bit or out of balance for a while, yes it may have an effect on your success...if you dont adapt.  It boils down to knowldege over money and equipment (new or old) every time.
 Every week I guide  people to successful fishing trips on lakes where they have fished a life time/for a week/ etc etc  and claim the fish are gone, not biting, small etc etc  (to their surprise) with basic techniques and minimal effort--even if I have never set foot on the lake before.  If I struggle one day finding aggressive fish --do I call someone and complain about stocking programs, wasting money, old net results? ---not a chance!  I look at what I am doing wrong at that moment.
 As far as the slots/limit changes go, because the abuse some lakes get from a growing number of game hogs/ residents/locals/ and non-residents they are needed.  Just attend any "sportsmans show" for a weekend or sit in on a discussion at the local bar/cafe/or sportsmans cluyb meeting and you hear story after story about taking over the limit day after day but anglers that associate catching limits with being a good angler.  And some how thinking that if its done numerous times to fill the freezer it makes them even a better angler/sportsman.  Sorry guys, but its true.  Anglers make their own beds and lay it in.  Dont even ask how many bribe attempts I get to just put a few more in the live well.  And its not only from non-residents, its loclas as well.  In fact I might say the locals are worse.  Im personally for a four walleye limit, 3 fish limit, 7 --whatever may help in the end.  As far as im concerned it shold have been changed years ago.  ANd I agree, some resorts may loose a booking or two ( I own part of one myself) but am i concerned about the future of the resort--no, As it is there is a resort/vacation lodging shortage  on the horizon.  Where are the guests gonna go--to Ontario for 2 fish?  Iowa where there arn't any, Wisconsin?  Hmmm.  Last I check Minnesota has tourists by the you know what.  And what about family vacation traditions?  Tell the kids the trip is off because of 2 walleyes?  Doubt it.  MOst anglers rarely catch a limit on a consistant basis to begin with. 
Mille Lacs, sad but true but its hard to manage anything of that size effectively when your hands are half tied and it gets excessive amounts of pressure.  The lake gets to much pressure for its size, yes its big-- but very shallow.  The fish have no where to hide.  Dead Sea..no, its called dead end patterns anglers don't adapt to.  Once again...knowledge of the habits of the fish.
"To put fish in the box, fish outside the box"

Minnesota Fishing Guide Service
www.minnesotaguideservice.com

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
good post!
thanks

randy aka bh
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Enjoyed your post fish guide. Some lakes are greatly over fished. But for the most part people are not learning how to fish, just throw their electronics in the lake and expect things to work. I'm one that has not realy bothered to learn to fish and read the fish habbits but then I go just to go fishing and I avoid lakes I think I might see more then one or two other boats on unless the lake is big enough to avoid being anywhere near them.

Offline Fish Guide

• Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Fishing Guide Service
Good point Tripnchip, Im actually working on an article that points out that electronics are actually creating anglers that far less knowledgable ( about fish habits etc )than they were years ago.  Unfortunetly we live in a plug and play world, but that does not work in creating good consistant quality anglers.   
"To put fish in the box, fish outside the box"

Minnesota Fishing Guide Service
www.minnesotaguideservice.com

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey FG

You know I never really looked at it from that end until I read your post. As dumb as it might sound, I never thought people would be upset at the DNR for not being able to get a limit. Maybe it's just me but if I don't get fish I blame it on myself, the weather, the fish or whatever else I might be able to dream up as an excuse.

I never once thought of the end result. I was just looking at all the money being wasted.
~Thomas Jefferson