Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: History of april fools day... some dont know this..  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
The beginning of this tradition was in 1582, in France. Prior to that year, the new year was celebrated for eight days, beginning on March 25. The celebration culminated on April 1. With the reform of the calendar under Charles IX, the Gregorian Calendar was introduced, and New Year's Day was moved to January 1.

However, communications being what they were in the days when news traveled by foot, many people did not receive the news for several years. Others, the more obstinate crowd, refused to accept the new calendar and continued to celebrate the new year on April 1. These backward folk were labeled as "fools" by the general populace. They were subject to some ridicule, and were often sent on "fools errands" or were made the butt of other practical jokes.

This harassment evolved, over time, into a tradition of prank-playing on the first day of April. The tradition eventually spread to England and Scotland in the eighteenth century. It was later introduced to the American colonies of both the English and French. April Fool's Day thus developed into an international fun fest, so to speak, with different nationalities specializing in their own brand of humor at the expense of their friends and families.

In Scotland, for example, April Fool's Day is actually celebrated for two days. The second day is devoted to pranks involving the posterior region of the body. It is called Taily Day. The origin of the "kick me" sign can be traced to this observance.

When i lived in Scotland.. we used to call it ...hunting the gowk

So april first used to be the ending of New Years..

I had this for a while and not sure where i got it off the inter at..

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 04/01/08, 09:22:27 AM by Northerngal »
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait

Offline Crazy4Outdoors

• Outdoorsman
Good info.

My husband pulled a good one on the kids this morning.....called bus driver last night and told him to drive right by the kids in the morning.  So that's what he did; kids were standing at end of driveway waiting to be picked up at 7:10 this morning and bus driver smiled, waved at them, and  drove right by.  3 of the kids thought it was funny; one wasn't impressed -- he'll get over it.  He got me this morning too; put lotion on my steering wheel and tobasco sauce on the lid of my coffee mug.  I should have known better; he's always pulling something on someone.   I'll get him back though......I'M cooking supper tonight -- he he he he
All in good fun!!

Offline Tami

• Master Outdoorsman
  • NorthernGal --Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
hahahahahahha
That is so funny

As the olden days past.. Happy new years!!!
the hurrier I go, the behinder I get
Best place for Bait.....Babes Bait... Babe's is locally known as “the best little bait shop in Ely”. Tackle and Fresh Bait