Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: BLUEBIRDS  (Read 5315 times)

Offline GOGETTER

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
ANY ONE HAVE NESTING BLUEBIRDS IN THE CITY AREA?  I'VE BEEN READING UP ON GETTING A NESTING PAIR STARTED BUT THE SPARROWS ARE TOUGH TO GET RID OF.. ???
GENO

Offline BearGuide

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Castle Creek Outfitters - Northern MN Bear Guide
    • www.Castle-Creek-Outfitters.com
I have a pair that has been coming back for 4 years now.  They might have been there before I moved in though.  I have a large hayfield along with a river bottom.  They like the hay field.

Offline GOGETTER

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks BearGuide for the info.  All I have is the yard.  I did read open areas attrack them.  Guess I gotta move to a more open area.  Oh well, I keep on tryin'.
GENO

Offline BearGuide

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Castle Creek Outfitters - Northern MN Bear Guide
    • www.Castle-Creek-Outfitters.com
Let me know how it goes.  I love watching them.  Especially when they are just about to land on the fence and the sun hits them just right.  They are an amazing cornflower blue.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Any luck with this?

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Last spring I put up a couple blue bird houses.  Within an hour blue birds were in and out of the houses.   On was used by blue birds and the other by tree swallows.   This year the blue birds have been in the houses for a few weeks now.   I have them on a fence over looking a one acre open area surrounded by pines. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Get rid of the English sparrows any way you can. There used to be as many bluebirds as those imprted jokers.They will kill mama bluebird on her nest by cracking her skull.If you find a nest of sticks and trash remove it .Sparrow eggs are cream color with brown specks. A blue bird nest is made of really fine grass.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Get rid of the English sparrows any way you can. There used to be as many bluebirds as those imprted jokers.They will kill mama bluebird on her nest by cracking her skull.If you find a nest of sticks and trash remove it .Sparrow eggs are cream color with brown specks. A blue bird nest is made of really fine grass.

One way to get rid of them is when you know they are in the house you can seneak up to it and put a large sack or bag of some sort over the hole and then the sparrow will fly out and he/she is trapped. Then you can use you imagination with the bag. One trick I learned is that you can then take that bag and put it over the exhaust pipe of your car with the bird still in the bag.

I know this sounds strange but this is what I learned at a nature center that I volunteer at. I volunteer for their bluebird project and I monitor 10  houses weekly. This is what was suggest for me. Birders really hate these sparrows!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They're not very good swimmers either with the bag tied shut and a brick on top of it in a 5 gallon bucket of water, or so I've been told... :whistling:

Have been trapping the little so and so's a couple years with pretty good results but every once in awhile they figure out the trap and won't leave the bluebird houses alone. It is then I go into stealth mode on a Saturday afternoon when I have a little free time on my hands and get out the .22 or pellet gun, depending on where the affected house is. Killing the male house sparrows is my primary objective as they are the nest site selecters, builders and the one's that kill the bluebirds or tree swallows. I will shoot either male or female house sparrows though if I get a chance.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)