Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bear Hunting  (Read 4113 times)

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
When using a rifle bear hunting, where would the most efficient shot placement be located?

I have talked to numerous people about this subject, and it's kind of a 50/50 split between head and vitals. I personally harvested a bear three years ago, and I took a vital shot quartering away from me. The bear went about 75 yards and wrapped himself around a tree. I asked a couple friends who have shot numerous bear over the years and they said they both always take head shots to drop them right there.

I'd kind of like to hear what other people have to add to this.
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I myself have always gone for vitals. (I hunt with pistol or bow)

A hunting partner of mine, tried a head shot with a rifle and the round glanced off of the bears skull.
I don't know if it was poor shot placement or the angle, but I was video taping the hunt.
And it wasn't pretty.................

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline NDGUY

• Outdoorsman
always the vitals no risk of bullet bounce

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
I have taken one bear and it was broadside about 70 yards. I would say go for a broadside or quartering away is the only way to go IT WILL KILL THEM. If somebody is willing to possibly injure an animal just because they are too lazy to track 70 to 100 yards. They should ask them self’s why they are there in the first place. Not to mention the skull is the so-called trophy  :bonk:

I do know a friend who says broadside through the shoulder blade to knock them down with fast follow up shots. Still no tracking if done right, and if you miss the blade still a kill shot. also I dont know your taxidermist but I do know he would agree :doah:

Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
I definately agree with you bow73.

A vital shot is the way I would prefer to humanely take an animal, especially a bear if I wanted to keep the skull. You are right my taxidermist says it's alot easier to repair a hole in the shoulder/ribs area than in the head.

It's just interesting getting feedback on this subject, when you are correct in saying that people are lazy and do not want to track any farther than the bait site.

Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
get a poster of a bear that shows were the vitals are and practice with it. never shoot any big game animal in the head. practice makes perfect. i have never had to track an animal more than 100yards, and that was with a bow. with the gun never had one go more than 60. not bragging or anything. but i spend alot of time at the range so i dont miss for one and so i dont hurt one. last year i had my first deer get away from me because of a rushed shot and it still haunts me. :offtopic:

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
 :offtopic:
Cody

It happened to me ten years ago when I started bowhunting also. Although it was a doe, I felt terrible about the rushed shot, and I knew I hurt the animal.

Unfortunately those are the scenarios we teach and try to explain to new hunters, and learn from in experience.

I really appreciate all the good comments affirming my views on where to line up my .270.

Hopefully it will happen come Sept. 7th!
-WC Fields

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
i got drawn this year for area 44 but i cant get work off so i have to pass it up this year :cry: my first year

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
You'll get up there sometime.

I'm in 51 and have a couple of public areas located, but you never know until you get up there and establish the bait site and find out who's hunting around you.

The good thing for bear hunting is that uncle Jack can no longer bait cousin Jim's site for him while he's gone. The bad thing is that at 3.60 a gallon I have to drive 3-1/2 hours to get there as many times before season in order to have a chance at harvesting a bear.
-WC Fields

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
i was just going to have a semi-guided hunt, one of the members here does that so i was going to do that but work got in the way

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
That sounds like the way to go.

I'm probably looking at a low success rate, as I will be going up there this weekend, labor day weekend after we play softball in Fon Du Lac I plan on baiting, then the weekend after hunting the 7th throught the 9th.

I'm hopefull that we get lucky, but we'll see what happens.

-WC Fields

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
first year and i dont really have anywere to go so that sounded like the best option. do see a few here and there on the property by park rapids but thats maybe once a year, seen more timber wolves than i have bears

good luck to you.

Offline Pegg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I just got set up with 180 arces by stacy Mn. It is in the no quota area and the two zones by there take a lot of bear. The people land I am hunting don't bear hunt and have seen a few around. Sounds like pretty good size ones too.
If today was perfect. There would be no need for tomorrow.

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
Sounds like you have a good chunk to yourself.

Good luck baiting this weekend.
-WC Fields

Offline Pegg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I wont bait till it gets closer to hunting time. I know a guy who only baits three days till season opens and gets bear to come in all the time and bait never goes cold. I am going to try what he does and hope it works for me. He let me in on some of his tricks of the trade.
If today was perfect. There would be no need for tomorrow.