Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Mouth calls or electronic  (Read 1896 times)

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 I have been throwing around the idea of buying a electronic call for coyotes. I have went through a pile of forums on here and basically everyone says use what you feel comfortable with. Well I have had some sucess with the mouth calls but am not any where near perfect. So sunday went to town and was looking at elec calls and now after 6 different stores and 20 different models I'm really confused. :bonk: In your opinions are eletronic calls really worth it and if so do you feel that the $500.00 models are that more effctive than the $200.00 models. Thanks guys for any input you have and good hunting ;)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Well it all depends on your finances and how much you hunt them. I can't answer that for you as only you can.

You mentioned that you've had some success. That leads me to believe you would like a better percentage of success. We all do. I am not a big fan of newer, fancier or more expensive gadgets until time proven. I have an electric caller an honestly havn't noticed any difference between that and a mouth call. Then I have an older one that still uses cassette tapes. They are more convinient is all from my expeirience(kinda dummy proof).

The success of a hunt is more about the set up than the actual calling itself. There will be others who will argue this with me but each has thier own opinion. To answer your ? If you can financially swing it, go for it.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 Thanks Griz, I think the electronic call can wait one more year. I just bought a new call for $15.00 rather than $500.00  takes alot of yotoes at $5.OO  a pop to justify.

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
i own both.......the mouth blown are great until they freeze up......it dont take long at any minus temps......the electronic can be placed a distance away from you as well.......my electronic has many different sounds.......some for yotes.....some for crows......

and you may want a squeaker call as well.......you can tape it to your gun barrel for close order work..
trout whisperer author/guide

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 Ya thats one advantage I can see is placing the eletronic call away from you so they dont pin point you as easy and maybe set a decoy in the same area as well.

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
I will usually bring out both and put the electronic a ways from me, hiding it a little bit, putting a decoy, usually something like a vibrating rabbit near the electronic call and blow on a mouth call once in a while along with the electronic.
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline trout whisperer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
the mouth blown calls......i have over two hundred.....quite the fettish i know...but i have moose calls.....to mouse squeakers...crow, owl, hawk, wood duck whistles.....its endless......but it is fun to bring anything in......ducks geese whathave you.....

one odd thing about predator hunting w/respect to calling.....if you team up like in elk hunting.....it dramtically improves your success rate.....one calls......the other shoots.....its made a huge difference for me and my fur huntin buds....

if you get the chance...montana has some yotes...they call them silver tips....the nicest coyote fur ive ever seen....good luck
trout whisperer author/guide