Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Traditional Shoot  (Read 10054 times)

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
The coon rapids archery club is having their annual Traditional Shoot fathers day weekend.  If you want to learn about traditional archery you should come up and look around.  This is a 60 target shoot.  All 3ds.   loops of 20.  I'll be up wednesday through friday helping set up 2 of the loops and shooting saturday morning.  Come up and take a look around.  Bunch of great guys up there.  There will be multiple custom bowyers there showing what they got with lots of bows on hand.  Also they have a few different shops coming (footed shaft, G&M archery and different things like leather workers and basket makers)  If you want to to get started they also have used equiment for sale fairly cheap.  Also the guys up there cook up some great food!

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
That sounds like it would be interesting. It's been a long time since I've even strung my old stick bow so I doubt I'd shoot, but seeing all the traditional bows and such would be fun. I'm not sure what the plan is for that weekend yet, but it sounds like it would be a good fathers day gift. ;)
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
It is really a good time.  LOTS of people convert to traditional stuff at the shoot.  People from all over the country come to hang out and shoot.  Plenty of people to talk to if you have any questions.  Joe you could even bring your bow up and have someone help ya set it up or make sure it is still shoot able (i'm sure it is).

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
The big shoot is this weekend.  One of the vendors are already there ;D  was there today helping get the food put away and cleaning the kitchen.  Will be there at 7 tomorrow to start setting up the loops.

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
Just a little update for you all that care.  Was out today and yesterday settin up loops.  Got all the animals out today by noon.  Went through a 1/4 tank of gas just driving around on the range :o  So far this is looking at being another great shoot this year.  If anone is board this weekend just come up and take a look around.

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
Sunday afternoon would be the only time I could make it. Whats the schedule like for Sunday and where can I find you if I make it up there.

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
I'm not sure when I'll be up sunday.  Usually dies down towards the afternoon and vendors ussually start packing up.  I'll probably just come up later in the aftrnoon and help clean up so wouldn't have much time to bs.  I'll let you know tonight whats going on.  If nothing is happening at home I'll probably just be hanging at the range tomorrow.

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
Well I shot this morning and didn't do TOO bad.  Should have done better.  It looks like I won't be up tomorrow until cleanup Joe but sometime down the road we should see if we can get together and shoot some.

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
So how did the weekend turn out. I would have liked to go, but by the time I got home and cleaned up it was the middle of the afternoon. I did pull out the old stick bow and I noticed It's badly in need of a new string. I've been trying to go to the public range at Keller Park once a week with my 2 boys. Whats Bunker Hills Range like?

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Not sure if it is Bunker Hills but the archery range off of Hanson in Andover is really nice!! Check it out. I'm sure someone on here can give you the name or more info.

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
Yes bunker hills range is the one off hanson.  The weekend turned out nice besides the poison ivy I have on my arms and face.  Oh well.  Went up there about 2 o'clock sunday to start to clean.  about 3 we headed out to pick up the targets.  We got all 60 animals back to the garage and put away in about 2 hours.  Besides my uncles 4 wheel going out on his truck all went smooth.    Already planning for next year ;D

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
You know my dad used to live out that way and he warned me about the poison ivy in that park years ago. It must be everywhere. Sound like a guy should stick to the trails.

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
Yea it used to be really thick in there!  It has gotten much better the last couple years.  Some members from the club were out spraying before the shoot.  They were mostly spraying the trails that you would be walking for the shoot.  I'm pretty sure the stuff I got was from cleaning up and handling the animals.  Also I think I might have pulled off first place for youth but still should have shout better.  Sure hard to concentrate when your up at the range spending 10 hour days workin your but to set up and then shoot it saturday.