Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What are you planting for food plots this year  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
im thinking of using imperial no plow seed blend on a area farther back in the woods were equipment cant reach. anyone have any experience with this stuff? other than that last year my corn crapped out and i had to disc it up and just plant clover so i think clover is going in on all of the plots.

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I am planting a bunch of stuff this year. Clover, beans, Austrian winter peas, sunflower, rape, turnips, chicory, rye grain and I might even try some corn. Clover on a couple of small plots and trails. I already frost seeded those and mixed some chicory in with some of them. The peas will be planted early and late and once they're waped out I will mix in rye grain. Beans, rape and turnips in the big plot (2 acres) with corn and sunflower around the edges for a small staging area. I'm also gonna put in a pretty big plot between the road and our wood line. Sunflowers will be around the open edges to block it from the road and the rest of it will be planted in late july or early august in Rye grain.
 I haven't used Imperial Whitetail products before but I have heard good things about it. Watch out on the no plow blends when they put Rye GRASS in it. I planted a mix with that in it one time and it took over the plot the next year and I couldn't get rid of it and after it gets taller the deer don't eat it. I had to kill that plot off a lot. I stopped buying big name products and started mixing my own. (unless I find it very cheap)  If I were you I'd try some Dwarf essex rape and purple top turnips in your plots but plant them later in the year. You can seed it in with your clover because it is very shade tollerant and grows in very poor soil. Deer LOVE it every where I've hunted over it all over MN like Backus, Brainerd, Sandstone, Eden Valley, St. Cloud area and all the way down in S/E Wisconsin. Same with Rye Grain but again plant it late.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
i will be planting a variety of clover, rape, chickory and some grains all mixed on a few bigger plots (10 acres) or so, and then in august i will be planting some brassica blends in little 1 acre openings throughout our land. someone mentioned planting trails, i might do a bit of those in clover and see how it takes. :scratch:
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
i will be planting a variety of clover, rape, chickory and some grains all mixed on a few bigger plots (10 acres) or so, and then in august i will be planting some brassica blends in little 1 acre openings throughout our land. someone mentioned planting trails, i might do a bit of those in clover and see how it takes. :scratch:

Steve planting trails in clover works very well for us. I mixed up aslike, ladino and medium red clover and threw it on the trails and it came up very thick and it was in trail going east-west with thick cover on each sides so it wasn't getting a lot of sun and still came up great.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
We are planting a lot. I think in total we have almost 5 acres...This is what will be all out there in no particular order: Forage soybeans,summer peas, sorghum, sunflowers, Brassicas, including both Forage Rape and Forage Turnip varieties and then we have some areas with Red Clover and an area with rye grass. Trying to give them some attractant foods as well as some high protein and nutrient rich food. Should be an interesting year to say the least. We may do something else with a last plot but not 100% sure yet. Planting that on Friday....

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
Where do you guys get your different seeds? Like the Rye grain and rape etc?
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Where do you guys get your different seeds? Like the Rye grain and rape etc?

I buy from the co-op...they are cheaper and you get more.
Some of the pre-packaged seed blends don't grow in certain zones, so you have to be carefull.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Here is a photo I took a couple weeks ago.  This is a plot in the woods that we  planted last year with brassicas and some clover.  It looks like the clover really took off.  I may just over seed it a little this year. 

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Looks really good. That's what I love about clover. You can plant it and forget about it.