Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Trailer Frames???  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been asked to build a fish house for a school organization.  Few things I need to know first:

Where do I get a good price on trailer frames?  I have looked online at 2 dealers, one in Buffalo and the other in Milaca.  Thoughts on either place?

Materials?  Thinking 2X4, 3/4 treated plywood deck, insulated with one window and door.  What can I use for interior materials?  Exterior?  Roof?

What do I need to do to join the decking and frame to the trailer?  Fasteners needed?

What can this cost say for an 8'? 10'?  12'?

Thanks.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Personally, I'd seriously consider Fish House Supply for nearly all of your needs.  They have almost everything you'll need from trailer frames to heaters, and even interior furnishings.  I realize they are a site sponsor, but that is not the reason why I suggest them.  In fact I brought them here as a site sponsor because of their quality products and reasonable prices.  About the only thing they don't have is the lumber.  But they have the knowledge in what it takes to build a quality long lasting fish house.

Here's the link for their trailers page:  Trailer Frames

Tips on Building Fish Houses: Tips

I know many folks build their stud walls with 2x2's and use 2x4's for corners etc. for strength.  3/4 treated plywood is also the norm.  for most floors.  Some choose to insulate the floor.  I would think that would be the way to go.  Also I have heard of some using rubberized undercoating underneath the floor to seal the underside. 

For exterior I'd go with corrugated steel. 
Roofing could be corrugated steel continued from the walls or rubber roofing.  I've heard good things from both. 

Interior walls, thin plywood would last longer than paneling-as paneling wicks up moisture and will expand. 

As for mounting the frame to the trailer-bolts.  (see their trailer accesory page-all screws and bolts needed are there)

Somewhere here is some good threads on fish houses.  Discussions on what works and what didn't, and some pictures as well. 
« Last Edit: July 07/26/09, 08:46:46 PM by Jeff »
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Jdrummer

• Master Outdoorsman
I can't give you a exact number on the cost of a 8 or 10 footer but a few years ago I built a 8 x 14'er and had 1100 bucks in it with the floor , framed, and sheeted. also had two 50 dollar windows and a free door . I think that total was including the sheet metal roof ?
Pratice doesn't make perfect, Perfect pratice makes perfect!