Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Temporary off-highway vehicle trail closures  (Read 3036 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Temporary off-highway vehicle trail closures aim to protect riders and hunters this November

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) forest trails and access routes will be closed to off-highway vehicles (OHV) at times during November to protect recreational riders from potentially unsafe riding conditions and to minimize conflicts between deer hunters and recreational riders during the 2009 firearms deer hunting season.

The trail closures apply to the use of all-terrain vehicles, off-highway motorcycles, and off-road vehicles, such as jeeps and four-wheel drive trucks, by recreational riders on state forest trails or non-designated forest access routes.

Licensed deer hunters may still use these routes in conjunction with their hunting activity:

Before legal shooting time.
From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
After legal shooting hours.
Effective dates of the recreational riding restrictions will be:

Nov. 7 through Nov. 22 for the northeastern Minnesota 100 Series deer season.
Nov. 7 through Nov. 15 for the Minnesota 200 Series deer season.
Because recreational OHV trails located in southeastern Minnesota close Nov. 1 each year, no additional OHV riding restrictions are necessary in that part of the state.

While many recreational OHV riders have voluntarily opted not to ride forest trails during deer hunting and small game seasons, recreational OHV riding has become a year-around sport for many. That is why the DNR reminds everyone who visits Minnesota’s state forests this fall to always put safety first.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
I hope this information is passed on to riding groups and such. How frustrating that would be to have wheelers cruising around all day while your trying to hunt.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Is this a new rule? I have had a few good shots messed up due to wheelers coming through on state land.

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Not sure bout OHV trails, but yeah, atvs have had those hour restrictions during firearm season for years.... I use my atv when deer hunting, and always follow those restrictions, but not everyone does! :banghead: :doah:

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
 does this apply to say logging trails that run through the state land? or just official ohv trails.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Our crew has hunted Mcandrews state forest for years, Every year it is like a parade coming down
the trails and road. And no orange clothing! Nothing against the riders, I own a ATV and love to ride
but, They should shut the trails down for a few weeks for the hunters...

randy
bonehead149@yahoo.com

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
you would think from the riders perspective that they would take a week or 2 off just for safety sake. wonder what % of riders are hunters? I would think that would be a high number and there wouldn't be so many out putzin around
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
More riders than hunters in them woods, Gonna hunt private land this year. Hope to not have
any of that this year.

randy
bonehead149@yahoo.com

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
It's a good law IMO. You shouldn't be on trails where folks hunt. If you are, you for sure need to have orange on. I wouldn't go in any woods during deer without orange on. Hopefully some lives are saved with this.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.