Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What to plant?  (Read 3943 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
We own about 25 acres north of Remer.  The front half of the property has been a hay(grass) field for a LONG time.  We are going to get a forest stewardship plan done whenever the forestry people get to us.  They said it might take a year before they get to us.  We don't want to wait another year before we start planting some trees. 

We have planted a 2 acre food plot(brasicas) on the back part of the field the last 2 years.  The deer used the food plot the first year during the last hour of daylight.  This last year we didn't see a deer on the plot until after dark.  One of the deer that we shot this year had 22 shells in its butt.

The soil is a clay loam soil with a ph of 6.5

We want to plant something that will grow quickly and provide screening and give the deer some protection from poachers.  We don't want the deer brousing on the trees by the road.  We plan on planting about 750-1500 trees each year until the field is full.

I was thinking about a hybred poplar,  along the road because they grow fast.  My brother wants pine trees.    What does everyone else think?

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago and the next best time is yesterday.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Hybrid poplar are fast growing trees, usually growning a couple feet per year. But, not a very sturdy tree cause they grow so fast. White pines are prolly the fastest growning needle tree, and also arn't very strong because of the growth rate. Either tree, the deer will nibble on.

Hunter
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
The old what to plant question... I've been discussing with my brother the upcoming season (planting season)...  after we had our land logged we've been replanting areas and the wild poplars are about 6 feet tall now but can still be mowed with a heavy brush cutter. we did a few areas of pines (bareroot white pine)... out of 100 we're still pushing about 75%. next we started planting some fruit types... we did highbrush cranberrys, juneberrys, crabapples.. also raspberry,blueberry bushes. this year we're going with plum, and some cherry bushes that claim to be rapid growth. also we've planted a few honeycrisps, with this year hoping for a few more. we go with the bare root stock.. I've been sticking too about 100 a year due to the labor involved with the process. sounds like alot, but when they produce and the wifes can make some jams and pies or what not it'll be worth it.. in like 10 years
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
dakids, if you don't want deer browse, you have to either fence the area or shoot all the deer. :rotflmao:
We planted 11,000 trees a number of years ago.  We planted red dogwood, red pine, white spruce, black spruce, norway pine, red oak, white oak, burr oak, and ash.  Believe me the deer like most of them.  White spruce seems to be the best when it comes to deer not eating them.  But, when ever some get beg enough, they strip the bark with their antlers.  Go figure.  We usually plant between 500 to 1000 trees ever year.  Unless you want to water and protect every tree, you will lose quite a few so you just keep planting and hope for the best.  I did plant around 25 crab apple trees and I have put chicken wire around them.  They are now 4-5 feet high and looking good.
I wouldn't plant the entire 25 acres in trees.  Remember forest edges are fantastic game magnets.  I would line up some bare root trees through an extension office and pay someone with a planter to plant strips of trees in the field.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
11,000 trees???? wow.. that's impressive
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
We will be renting the tree planter from the forest service(35$ per day) We have a tractor to use so the planting won't take to long.  I know the deer will eat most trees when they are small, we just don't want the deer hanging around the road and making easy targets for poachers.  We are planning on planting the crabapple trees by the food plot.  With the dogwood or other fruit berring trees. 

If we had the money we would plant the entire 10-12 acres of field this spring.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
it all comes down to time and money.. when you have the time you don't have the money.. when you have the money you don't have the time.   we've been going in small chunks all by hand. I find it relaxing/rewarding work, that's fun to watch grow

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
A good book that I would recommend is "American Wildlife and Plants - A Guide to Wildlife Food Habits"
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Da kids we have the same problem on one of our plots. We planted corn along the edge and it didn't come in that great. This yr we are planting between the plot and the road with the Hybrid poplar trees (carolina strand because they don't sucker from the root.) They will grow over 4 ft a yr. We'll also be putting in white pines so we'll have a yr round screen in 7 yrs. We're also planting egyptian wheat so we have a solid 8 to 15 feet wall this yr. Egyptian wheat is a gem that not a lot of people know about.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
dakids...do you have an aerial photo that you can post or send to me at info@habitatnow.com?  I will see if there are some other programs that might work for you and post that info in this thread for everyone to follow along with.  I am a forest stewardship writer as well but I don't write them anymore as it always took too long...people don't like to wait and neither do I.

Once I can see the aerial photo, I will provide some recommendations for you.

Kyle, PLM
www.HabitatNOW.com

Fish On!