Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Fur prices  (Read 6763 times)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
As some of you may have noticed. This yr I didn't give any market predictions. It wasn't an oversight. I talked to a few of the buyers and some of them won't even be buying from new costomers just established fur producers.

The coon in the round will be about$5 for a good clear 4xxxxl boar. They don't even want the bottom 1/3 So if you do catch them may as well let them go. Most taken the first week will be lucky to get an offer.

Mink are no better they don't want the first weeks catch. After that they sound like $3 to $10 for good clear put up goods.

Rats may be the only thing worth chasing with $1.50 in the round and $3 put up for the clear and larger sizes.

Beaver, fox and yotes have such a low percent selling at auctions that local buyers will be hesitant on anything other than large prime A1 hides. Other than dirt cheap.

The other stuff seems to have somewhat of a market at reduced prices.

I don't mean to sound dismal but it's the way it is.

My trapping plans have changed. Oh I will still be out there. Depending on when I get laid off and the weather how it will go. I would still like to run a decent sized line. I will be setting more rat traps along the way. It still going to take 20 coon a day just to pay the gas bill figuring they will only take a 2/3 anyway. Mink would take care of the ware and tare on the rig and hope to buy some bacon and beans with the rats for the winter. When I catch under 20 coon then the next day I will pull. I don't do it for the money but can't afford to loose money doing it either.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
Have to start charging the land owner for nuisances animal removal. have always charged for beaver but nothing else..

Looks like its going to stay this way for a while. how long do you think griz?

Offline fishercz20

• Outdoorsman
Yeah it doesnt look good for prices this year. Think I will let the critters grow a little and hope for better next year. Good luck to all.

Offline Moving2thecountry

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Just an idea, but maybe you can get more by selling on ebay, if that's allowed.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Well things have advanced some on most of the stuff. With rats making the biggest jump. Coon have also done better than alot were expecting. The next auction will tell if it's a solid move upwords or just a little temporary spike. Is it similar to the old adage what goes up like a rocket tends to come down like a rock. Hopefully things go well at the auction as I have some fur up there. I did sell some earlier but wished I had most of it back now.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
just looked at the FHA auction results for february an was glad to see some nice advances. I know alot have already sold but for the ones who hung on to their fur, this yr it seems to have paid off. I wished I had my fur back that I sold last fall.

Rats $8.50 100%
Mink $14.03 97%
Coon $22.35 Minn/Wisc type 92%
Coyote $35.20 western 91%
           $30.50 eastern 96%
Red fox $31.00 eastern 82%
           $17.02 western 50%
Grey fox $20.90 73%
Beaver $ 21.33 eastern section 1 95%

Now I am Happy to see these advances but what gets it confusing is the percentages that are sold. If they are true percentages or if they are just percentages of what was offered.In another words if they offered everything they had or just the better stuff.
« Last Edit: February 02/25/10, 04:31:17 AM by GRIZ »
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
If the prices and clearances are just on the better stuff then it isn't that impressive. If it's on the whole works then it's pretty dog gone good compared to 4 months ago.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
what does eastern and western mean? like east coast west coast thing?

Offline snow

• Master Outdoorsman
Grizz~

Thats some pretty good wages if ya can get it,we dumped a bunch of yotes for $10 for rough and $14 for a good one on the hoof,buddy has a buyer in NoDak.Mink was about the same,the guy is looking for winter badger right now if ya can find them.

Hevi Shot Pro Staff
Hevi Shot.com

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
what does eastern and western mean? like east coast west coast thing?

It's more or less a grade of fur. In coyotes the eastern coyote tends to be bigger with coarser fur. Also have more off color. The western is a softer fur with better clearer color. Redfox are just opposite, the western are bigger with a frostier rump. The eastern are softer with clearer color(cherry red). Grey fox also differ in fur texture, color, fur length.

Here in MN we have some of each. Right around my area I have mostly the eastern type coyote an western type fox. Will get some of each but If I go west a bit will find a better yote. It doesn't really have anything to do with where they come from as an easter fox could be graded western. It's a general grade that will get sorted to many more specific grades.

Snow That seems like a decent price on the hoof, depending on when sold.

Also I did hear they held the damaged goods and slights outta this auction. If that's the case things might not be as good as they look.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been watchin the NAFA auction this W/E. Only thing I sent up there was some rats and was very pleased with the results. Everything sold and I got $9.89 average before commission. It seems that most fur went well for our region. Some furs were bought back but most I think were from more southernly locations.

Mink and coon showed some advances. Mink sold out entirely along with the rats which should mean a strong market

Predators went well for what sold I thought, then a buddy told be alot of the buy backs sold overnight through private treaty. It might be they sold with a better percentage than first appeared.
~Thomas Jefferson