Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: DNR, partners team up to teach camping basics at 38 overnight workshops  (Read 1315 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
News Releases
DNR, partners team up to teach camping basics at 38 overnight workshops this summer
(Released April 1, 2010)

Three established outdoor recreation experts are rolling out the green carpet for people who have little or no camping experience with a series of I Can Camp! workshops that will teach fire starting, outdoor cooking, and how to set up and break down a camp. Thirty-eight overnight workshops are being offered on Thursdays and Saturdays from June 17 to Aug. 21.

Partners in the effort include the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Division of Parks and Trails, the Conservation Corps Minnesota, and REI.

“Many people would like the chance to go camping, but some aren’t sure where to start,” said Bryce Anderson, interpretive services coordinator for the DNR’s Division of Parks and Trails. “The I Can Camp! program is designed to make the out-of-doors accessible. Instructors will help ensure people have a safe and fun experience, so families can leave feeling more confident about going camping.”

Two Conservation Corps crews will travel throughout the state to host I Can Camp! workshops at 33 participating Minnesota state parks and recreation areas. The cost is $55 per family (up to six people), which includes a one-day vehicle permit, basic equipment (tent, air mattresses, cook stove, etc.) and hands-on instruction. There will be Junior Park Naturalist activities for kids and a wide range of outdoor activities for all ages, including nature walks, fishing and geocaching.

Workshop activities will vary, depending on the location, facilities and weather. Participants need only bring their own bedding, groceries and personal items.

To make reservations for an I Can Camp! workshop, visit www.stayatmnparks.com or call
866-85PARKS. For more information about what there is to see and do at a specific state park or recreation area, visit www.mnstateparks.info or call 888-MINNDNR.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!