Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Dang deer  (Read 1726 times)

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
We planted 2 apple trees about 2 weeks ago. I never got around to putting a fence up tell yesterday. They had already chewed some of the small branches off. Hopefully the trees make it. It sure doesn't take long for them to find them. They are about 50 feet from the house. Never saw a single deer. They must be vampires and only come out at night. I see one tree has a couple blossems on it. I have a 5 foot fence around them now.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It's unreal how fast they find them. Any branches sticking through the fence on our trees are always nipped. Now we prune any branch that a deer can reach. We did a lot of pruning this yr and next spring we'll have to do a lot more. You never want to prune more than 1/3 of your tree.
 We also pick the blossoms off until the tree is able to have a considerable amount of apples on it. If you pick them off now all the energy goes into growing a taller and thicker tree. Which sounds like what you need with the deer problem. If the tree is small it will abort most of the apples and you'll end up with 3 apples on it at the end of the yr and a stunted tree. Just my 2 cents
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!