Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: New Food Plot  (Read 4765 times)

Offline pikechaser

• Minnow
Planted my first food plot labor day weekend....Rape & turnips...its coming up good..I spose the rape is 3" tall...I see fair amount of tracks going thru..dont see any sign of them eating it yet...how big does it have to get before it becomes attractive to the deer?  theres plenty of other food sources around..corn,,beans,,hay..

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
If you have a good food source around, it prolly won't get real attractive till the turnips are at the peak sugar content after the first frost.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I have good food near my plots and they hammered the rape as soon as it started to come up. Every area is different though, anything is possible.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I have a friend that planted clover right next to rape last year and the deer never touched the rape until there was snow on the ground.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I have a friend that planted clover right next to rape last year and the deer never touched the rape until there was snow on the ground.

Ya see... anything is possible  ;)

I have a rape and turnip plot and they hammered the rape in there as well, have not eaten the purple top turnips yet, well I guess they have browsed on them a little but at this point the rape is preferred.

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
we planted a small plot this spring of clover rape and turnips. the deer havent touched it much at all, only a couple sightings. we have a lot of oaks so once the acorns are gone hopefully we will see an increase.
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
was just at the land this weekend.. my august planted turnips are gone.. they demolished them.. the clover is getting hit now. I guess spring turnips next year. you can see where they've kicked the dirt around, it's tour up really good. a little sooner then I would like... but hey I planted it for them
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Plant it and they will come.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline greatwhitehunter3

• Outdoorsman
I planted a food plot this year and it wasn't touched until the week of slug season. Unfortunately I was in school the whole week so couldn't get out in the bow stand. From August til then they were walking through it but never had any pics of them actually eating it. It wasn't cold during that week either so it's hard to say what triggered them to start eating. There was still plenty of crops nearby that they could eat.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday I checked a few food plots.  These are mainly clover patches in the woods.  The deer had scratched through the snow to get to what remains of the clover.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I planted a food plot this year and it wasn't touched until the week of slug season. Unfortunately I was in school the whole week so couldn't get out in the bow stand. From August til then they were walking through it but never had any pics of them actually eating it. It wasn't cold during that week either so it's hard to say what triggered them to start eating. There was still plenty of crops nearby that they could eat.

What kind of plot was it??

• Outdoorsman

What kind of plot was it??

It was Biologic hotspot.
« Last Edit: November 11/30/10, 11:22:23 AM by greatwhitehunter3 »

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Is that winter peas and buckwheat? Sounds weird that they only ate it one week. I wonder if they are just browning on it occasionally? I know my plots they hit hard some times and then for a month straight they may just hit is occasionally.

I have two plots on my property and on has a clover rape mix from Frigid Forage and the other is a Big and Beasty mix from Frigid Forage. They have been in there eating it since it was a couple inches high. Some weeks are busier then other but they have always browsed it. Rape and clover were the first to go and then in October they started eating the purple top turnips ( just the tops - Greens). Just about all the tops are gone now and they are onto the turnips. Activity is on the rise now so it should get fun!!  :happy1:

• Outdoorsman
To tell ya the truth I can't even remember what is all in the mix. It grew great and am very happy with it. It was about 10-12 inches at the highest on slug opener. Went back to put trail cam back out that following Sunday night and there was maybe an inch left. It's made for 20yd x 20yd area so it isn't huge by any means but it still stumps me why it got hit so hard in that one week.