Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: first deer with a bow  (Read 6027 times)

Offline WillowWaldo

• Outdoorsman
Shot an 8-pointer on Sat about 6:30. Longest tine was 9.25 inches :) Not much for a wide rack, but they are tall. After looking at the deer, it looked to only be about a 2.5 or a 3.5 year old deer (not the norm where I shoot, mainly forks to small basket 8s for that age).

the Story -->

Sawed up about 2 to 3 cord of wood with a friend (never took a shower after this). Then went to my mom and dad's. Shot my bow for about 30 minutes (max distance 20 yards). The only reason I only shot out to 20 yds is my accuracy goes downhill (not my shot then). I can pretty much hit the 2 inch circle every time (or at least very close). Climbed into the stand that I placed last year at about 5:00. Saw a fork at about 5:45 heading right at me. He looked up at me, tried smelling me ( wind was in my favor :) ). He walked upto my stand (about a foot from my ladder), then starts stomping. For about 15 minutes he is walking around (never downwind from me) stomping his foot until he goes to the field. During this time I notice a nice buck (about a basket 8) on the field. Then I see a deer making its way down the trail towards me.  It has nice horns ... as it is eating acorns. Finally it is about 20 yards, and I pull back and it walks to fast for me to make it stop (but stops about 12 yards away behind a lone 7 inch elm on the trail that makes it a challenge to shoot). Then he walks a little closer (about 15 feet), stands broadside and eating acorns. Let the arrow go.... made the shot and he trotted about 100 yards and fell over. Waited about 15 minutes before climbing down to check things out. During the time I was waiting, the fork I saw early, an 8 a little smaller than the one I shot, and a basket 9 walked past me from the field after my deer fell over.

The second year clover on the field has had a lot of deer all year, and I just stood on a main trail leading out to the field. And the conditions were right.

WW

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
Congrats on the nice buck! It sounds like you've got a great set up. How long have you been bow hunting?
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
nicely done willow. do you have any pictures to share with us? they are allways a nice addition to any story :)
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN

Offline greenwing05

• Minnow

Offline 7Pines

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
WW,
Way to go.  That was a good tale.  Thanks for sharing and congratulations! :)

Offline Gopher

• Outdoorsman
Congrats on the buck!

I as well took my first deer with my bow.  A doe at 18 yds Saturday night.  What a blast.

I have shot two bear with the bow.
All I wanna know is, are we going to be cramped?

Offline WillowWaldo

• Outdoorsman
here is the pic

Congrats gopher! It sure is a blast with a bow.

[attachment deleted by admin]