Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Muskrat problems!!!  (Read 17540 times)

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Wow those floats are really clever. I had never seen those before.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
My wife heard the dog barking in the back yard yesterday (he never barks unless something is wrong).  She went back there and he's have on point and half barking at the window well.  She looks in and there is a muskrat.  The father in-law goes back there with her and tells the dog numerous time to "get it" and he just barks some more.  Then my kids come around the corner of the house and in a flash the dog jumps in the window well and kills the muskrat.  Funny how Blaze (my dog) knew that is was time to protect the kids.  Plus he probably knew my 4yr old son would have been down that window well trying to make it a new pet. 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
For some reason I hope a skunk or porcupine doesn't come into your yard.   :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
So far the muskrats are beating me.  I bought a couple of wire traps and they aren't kicking the step plate hard enough to trigger the door.  May need to utilize FireRanger's conibear and start whacking them that way. :banghead:
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
So far the muskrats are beating me.  I bought a couple of wire traps and they aren't kicking the step plate hard enough to trigger the door.  May need to utilize FireRanger's conibear and start whacking them that way. :banghead:

you should try useing a colony trap under water instead of a live trap.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

you should try useing a colony trap under water instead of a live trap.

I can only find old den trails.  Those are plain as day.  I think I'm going to use and build a #14 floating trap.  Any recommendations for me Griz?  Thanks for your input!
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
The fresh den runs should be more obvious than the old one's as they are being used.

As you can see from all the different floats they can be made very differently by different people. Most people I think build them with whatever materials they have on hand.

I built mine similar to #14 as they take up less space then someothers and are relatively simple to build when mass producing them. To make mine I use a 2 X 8 cut 30" long. On the sides I have a piece of 1/2" plywood about 1"-1 1/2" higher than the board. Then on the bottom with some large washers I attach a piece of foam insulation. The insulation is not neccessary at first but helps with floatation once the board starts to water log. Then I put an eye screw in it for a place to attach the stake, traps can also be fastened to this. This is how I built mine due to ease and simplicity but use whatever materials you have on hand.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Last night on the news they had a report of menacing muskrats in otter tail county and how they were burrowing under roads. Its on the ksax news web site.
« Last Edit: April 04/26/11, 11:46:33 AM by spear foot 1 »

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
We've got a cabin in Otter Tail Co. and I would say the muskrats are pretty bad up there.  We have always seen them around.  Usually a .22 works for us, but sometimes they are gone before we can get the gun.  They sometimes hang under our raft but are mostly around the creeks that connect the chain of lakes.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a floating raft out and still no rats.  We haven't seen them in a couple of weeks so we're wondering if they're holed up with newborns?

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a floating raft out and still no rats.  We haven't seen them in a couple of weeks so we're wondering if they're holed up with newborns?

if thats true catch um fasterr

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

More targets to shoot at.....    :fudd:

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman

ya but more targets to get

Offline Tyler Rother

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
We had a problem with them burrowing under a shoreline tree, well we finally found where they were denning up because the ground gave way and sunk... we piled rocks at the entrance shortly after ice out to block em in during the middle of the night, dug a small hole in the ground where it sunk, shoved a hose attached to our cabin trucks exhaust, kept a 2x4 on the trucks pedal, after removing something to make it smoke like a sob...dad did it whose a mechanic so don't know exactly the correct term, and shoved that tube 4 feet in along their tunnels and let it run for about 2 hours. Haven't seen one yet.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

ya but more targets to get

Thank goodness I have a stockpile of 17 HMR shells.  Practice makes perfect.

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
do you still have problems?

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Two have been taken out with the .17 HMR.  One kept hitting the duck corn pile and he got smoked...

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
got a idea of how many there are?

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope. When we do see them, it's only been one at a time.

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wow those little suckers are smart. Sounds like a gang.
They probably send the dumbest ones out one at a time.

Rodents man - they're crazy.
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

If that's the case, dumb ones are dead ones...

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman

If that's the case, dumb ones are dead ones...

Unfortunately that just means the  gene pool is getting smarter.  :]

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
you said it fawkinnae

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Just saw another dumb one swimming tonight.... time to add to the body count....

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
aim small miss small