Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Wolves at bear baits  (Read 1895 times)

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
While hunting on Saturday and Sunday of last weekend, I saw no bears :scratch:, but did see wolves on both of my bear baits.  

On Saturday a female wolf came in and spent 15-20 minutes working the bait pile and investigating my trail in, as well as my stand base.  She never looked up at me, but I assume she new I was there.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTuOrcgycPk[/youtube]

The second day, Sunday, I moved to a new bait site 20 miles away,  and again encountered wolves.  A large male cautiously approached the bait, after 1st passing by 2 times on the back side.  He tucked his tail and left the bait when he saw me reaching for my camera.  There were also at least 2 young wolves that stayed mostly on the trail to my stand and in the brush within 10 yards for most of 1.5 hours just prior to dark.  Trail cam photos indicate the wolves at this particular bait have been waiting for the bears to tear the logs and rocks away, then using numbers to force them off the bait and then cleaning it out.  We use mostly grain and molasses based bait, along with some sweet stuff and apples, so I wouldn't think that would be a big draw for them, but obviously they are agressively taking over these bait sites.

Anyone else have issues with this?  Or is this just due to an over abundance of wolves in the Ely, MN area I am hunting in?
« Last Edit: October 10/31/11, 07:29:19 AM by Outdoors Junkie »

Offline proangler16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Very interesting for sure.  Welcome the land of 10,000-Lakes and a false count of 3,000 wolves supposedly in MN when its for sure at least double that number. Something needs to be done on the real wolf count and control of them.
"Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend." ~Zenna Schaffer

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
BUMMER!!! :surrender: WITH THAT WOLF SCENT AROUND COULD AFFECT BEAR HITTING THE BAITS when your there! hope they go away for ya!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
We had a little better luck last week.  Ended up passing on one small bear, and seeing a lynx come in and try hunting squirrels over our bait.  Pretty cool to see.  He made one wild attack plan that just missed a squirrel, then tried to figure a way to get the ones hiding under the bait logs.  I had my 12 year old son in the stand with me, so he got to see it to.

The other bait with multiple wolves has gone dead now.  We had at least 2 nice size bears visiting the bait that we caught on camera before the wolves messed that one up.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
How did the rest of the season go for you?
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN