Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: coyote hunting  (Read 7595 times)

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
ok so i am attempting to really get into coyote hunting. ive done it a few times. but im looking for the best caller. i have been looking at foxpros but i just cant bring myself to spend 600 dollars on a caller. what caller do some of you seasoned coyote hunters use? i prefer to use electronic calls. what type of decoys? i have been using a full body coyote decoy made by flambue(sp).

Offline cva54

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Iam a new at it to havent got any yet only been out 3 times. But I got a cheep elc. call I set it up away from me as a coaxer low volume it is wireless. My main call is a mouth call more controll. It is not hard to sound like a dying rabbit. Decoys I took my spinning wing mallard loppet 1 wing off painted it white and shouved a rabbit hide on the other side it flipps and flops on the stick. What the hell cant use it ducks. And I got  a predator inticer http://www.tail-wagger.com/predator.htm Thats all about I got. Now to find them what part of the state you in?
Hunt hard, Shoot straight, Kill clean!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Cody i use an old school johnny Stewart with the casset tapes and mouth calls.  It seems to work just fine and I don't have any decoys.  If the yotes are in the area they come.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Have you thought about making your own? It can be done relatively cheap. Everything directions can be found online as well as all sorts of different sounds for free.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
no never thought about making my own. normally id just buy a cheap one and call it a day. but i want something thats going to be loud and effective. the coyotes at work are becoming a real problem that i aim to solve myself. i work at a hunting club and they have killed thousands of dollars of birds just this fall. last winter they took down 11 deer all does, which could be a good reason why there are so few this year. they are becoming a real problem.

Offline wildlifeminnesota

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
Then it time to make some more coyote hats,,  ;D

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Guys say everything you need to make one can be got at an electronics store for about 1/4 the price. Think the info is on PM site.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline naturalistmn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Eyes Wide Open
I know this sucks to read, but, you just have to figure out a groove that works for you.   Here is my two cents on what works for me and why.

I use only mouth calls.   Open reed and mouth diaphrams.   Reason being, control.   My hands are on the gun and I'm focused on what the dog tells me to do.   I can be as loud, quiet, aggressive, etc. as I need to be without losing focus.   Very very versital.

I do not prefer to use any decoys.   I feel it gives the dogs a visual to "hang up" on.   I don't want them to know the source of the noise.   It makes them look harder and commit stronger, giving me more of a shot opprotunity.

Another thing, PLAY THE WIND!   Dogs will always try to circle down wind of the sound.   A lot of the time when you don't see anything after a making a stand it's because they circled down wind.    They will make HUGE loops to get down wind.   Try, when it's possible, to use a cross wind.   You will up your kills.

Oh, and one more thing, not using callers is nice because its one less thing to drag out when you have a hike in deep snow!!!

Snow is on the ground, good luck doggin' boys!   Bundle up and get after it!!!
Shoot straight and give'em the shaft!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Great tips here maturalistmn.   I keep thinking I should try coyote hunting but never seem to get started.  You guys posting about it give me an itchy trigger finger. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
how far away do you think they will come to a call from because we have 3 fields in a clump and then 200 yards away theres another field so should i call the 2 fields and then go to the single of just do one of the 4?

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
i bought the mojo critter decoy. looks great and i read up on all the reviews and everyone seemed to love them. im gonna get a foxpro spitfire, its the lower end call thats not gonna cost a arm and a leg. its wireless/light which also was a huge factor. i dont have a long ways to walk so that also helps. im going to try other ways of hunting them also. like sitting in enclosed deer stands and things like that. im not gonna change shells like i thought about doing. so ill be shooting 150 grain hornadys at them from my 06.

Another question. does anyone know somewhere that buys the good pelts?

Offline naturalistmn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Eyes Wide Open
Lentz,

Do one stand in the area you described.   They will come from a LONG LONG ways out.   Pick the best vantage point with your prevailing wind.   Location and wind are key.   And just be patient.   Too many times you give up too early only to see a dog flee the scene as you stand up.   Pick the best location, call, and wait!   Good luck champ!

Cody,

Cumberland's will buy the pelts.   Obviously for less with shot dogs due to fur damage, but they will by them.   It is located just north of Owatonna.   Hope that helps!

Shoot straight boys!!!

Offline naturalistmn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Eyes Wide Open
Oh, and Deadeye, you have to give it a fair go.   Make a few stands and you'll be hooked!   Great thing to do in the dead of winter.   It makes a guy crawl out of his den now and then.   The first time you have a dog react to your set, BAM, hooked!!!!!

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
i got 2 places at my cabin and my neighbors got a place that he says is loaded with them. he hears packs off them at nigh (milacs/garison)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
naturalistmn, that's what I'm afraid of... getting hooked on another outdoor activity.   :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline 0ly1

• Outdoorsman
This is why we kill them

Offline 0ly1

• Outdoorsman

Offline cva54

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I was up just north of crosslake heard them there to. Got to help the deer out and so I can keep playing bummper truck :taz:
« Last Edit: December 12/24/11, 08:40:01 AM by cva54 »
Hunt hard, Shoot straight, Kill clean!