Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: COYOTE HUNTING: SOUTH/SE MINNESOTA HUNTER NEEDS HELP  (Read 5951 times)

Offline spruckw

Hello,

I am new to the forum, as well as coyote hunting.  Recently, I purchased a .243 Winchester Bolt-Action Rifle, and decided to try coyote hunting.  The only problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing.  Everything I've learned about coyote hunting is from literature, television, and the internet.  I've tried everything, but it seems that nothing is working.  I haven't seen a coyote in the day time yet.  I've only seen and heard them at night.

Anyways, I live in SE Minnesota, in Dakota County.  I've hunted in Vermillion River WMA and Chub Lake WMA, but I haven't had any luck.

Does anyone know a good place to hunt coyote in the Dakota/Rice/Scott/Goodhue county areas?  I really really need help...so if anyone knows any excellent places, please let me know.

Also, how do I go about finding a person to 'take me hunting'?  I was hoping to hunt with someone that is knowledgable and has lots of experience with coyote hunting.

That's all!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Often times many hunters are willing to take others out it's just a matter of finding them. Heck last fall I had a guy take me out on his trapline in western ND found him through another trapping site. Is there a local fur buyer nearby might be able to find someone there or on the net. Ask around a little bit.

WMA's although good habit are usually hard to hunt in my opinion. Reason being that the whole place is nothing but cover, I like a little bit of open space tween me and the cover I'm calling. Also what are you useing for a caller?
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline spruckw

I am using an electronic caller; just a CD and an old boombox that plays rabbit distress and etc...Also, I have a M.A.D.D. howler/distress hand call, as a back up.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I've called a number of predators with nothing more than a boom box an rabbit distress. That brings me to another ? Are there any/many other callers around? If so maybe they could be wise to that sound. As a kid trying an learning I went to the same spot useing the same call for weeks with no results. Then one day some one said try this an it worked. Is what I had done is wore it out before I ever even seen anything
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline spruckw

Thank you!

So, just overall, what should I do?  Try different calls in the same places?

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Could try that. As a general rule I don't like to try calling an area more than about 3 times a yr an a week apart or so atleast. What I would recomend is get permission for some private property an try that. At least if you got permission you know it shouldn't have been called much.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline cva54

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I got the same prob finging a place close to home Iam in south henn 35w & MN river. Ive been talking to a lot of pepleo and came up with a fawn in destress should work. Dam look at what thay eat and the deer heard 1 coyote will eat about 4 fawns evrey spring
Hunt hard, Shoot straight, Kill clean!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Now that I think of it I have found many times where a turkey has been killed by a yote. I wounder if anyone has made a crippled turkey call? Well I know who to ask anyway or wait having never used a turkey call in my life I'm sure what ever I tried would sound ill.

Distressed fox sound would work well at anytime of yr as coyotes do not like them any.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline LKVL

Jusy curious as way you guys are having a hard time finding places to hunt coyotes??????????????? Have you been knocking on doors???

Offline cva54

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thats the kicker there are right here were cant hunt :banghead: We all should start talking to the MN Valley National wildlife refuge. We can hunt deer ducks and other things why not coyote's? That would be a blast to get 1 with my bow. I called them up and thay said no. Why not is my question and now that dog got attacked in Eden prairie by a coyote. Boy didnt see that comen  :bonk:
Hunt hard, Shoot straight, Kill clean!