Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Going to do my first food plot.  (Read 1875 times)

Offline flowinggardens

• Outdoorsman
I have read almost all of the existing postings and am very excited to get started on my plots, I am going to start with the soil samples and clearing the area. my first question is does it matter when i take the samples, time of year or before or after the alnd is cleared, and which tests do i have done on the soil. I read the posting and found the form for the U of M and was wondering which tests need to be done and if that is the best place to take it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks :newhere:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
If this is a new area that you just cleared or will clear, you can take the sample anytime.  On normal fields you don't want to take after applying lime, fertilizer, or manure.  Clear the surface of any debries, leaves, stones and sticks.  Use a pipe (thin wall conduit works fine) and take core samples at various locations in the plot.  Normally you would take 6 inch deep core sampls. Mix the soil and put some the sample bag.   
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline flowinggardens

• Outdoorsman
Do you just get the regular soil test done or do I need to have the entire list of tests done?  Have you taken any samples in to the U of M or is ther a better place?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I had mine tested at the local feedmill/co-op

They will tell you what it is lacking or have to much of, and what you need to add to balance it out.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Being it's just a food plot and your not trying to make a living off it, I would just do the PH, and N-P-K.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline flowinggardens

• Outdoorsman
SINCE THESE ARE FIRST YEAR PLOTS WHAT IS THE BEST APPROACH
CLEARING
TILLING
SPRAYING
TIMELINE AND BEST OPTION FOR ALL OF THESE. I HAVE ACCESS TO A TILLER FOR SKID STEER AND ANY OTHER BIGGER EQUIPMENT, FATHER IS A FARMER, JUST HARD TO GET BIG EQUIPMENT INTO AREAS.
BEST PLANTING CHOICES, THEY WILL BE NEXT TO 100 PLUS ACRES OF SOYBEANS AND CORN, WOULD LIKE TO DO A MIX OF BRASSICAS AND PEAS AND OATS THAT I THINK I READ ABOUT FROM A POSTING BY LAND DR IF IT WILL WORK, WILL BE BOWHUNTED EARLY AND END OF OCT, SLUG HUNTED FOR OPENER AND MUZZLELOADER IF I STILL HAVENT FILLED THE TAG.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
something to think about... plant something different then the other crops in the area. we tried corn one time.. but why would my little patch of corn be better then the big field of corn 2 40's over... so we mixed it up and struck gold with the turnips. been our go too main plot for the last 2 years. gonna mix it up again this year and try something different.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
What Im doing this season with new plots are

Adding lime, fertilzer and discing in 1-2 weeks
 Waiting til end of April or first week of may then spray for weeds
Follow by planting crimsom clover and oats mid may
Ill disc under  1/2 the plot (add urea 46-0-0) end of July and plant brassicas (purple top turnips, dwarf essex rape and ground hog forage radish)
Mid August Ill disc under the other 1/2 the plot(add urea) and plant a mix (winter rye, oats, winter peas, red clover and ground hog radishes)

Thats will feed them year round