Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Finally Planted  (Read 2363 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I went out today and planted 5 food plots.  Here are some pictures from one along a wood line.
This area was sprayed about 6 weeks ago.  For this plot I mixed 80 pounds of 17-17-17 fertilizer, 30 pounds of winter Rye, and 3 pounds of red clover.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
do you drag the seed in? or just dump it ontop of the sprayed area?
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
good question beeker, im curious too.

we recently spread our brassicas and usually just leave it on top and let the rain pound it in. it says to roll it in as it cannot be burried too deep. well we found that anywhere we walked the seed was coming up in our footprints about 5 days sooner than the rest of the plot. anyone know of a good way to make a roller to press the tiny seeds in?
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I just broadcast it and let the rain do the work.  I tried using a Brillium seeder once (actually just a brillium packer) but the ground was too dry and hard.  It would have worked ok yesterday because the ground was moist and softer.  The seeds and young plants are protected by the dead vegitation.  I was pleasantly surprised that the plot areas were pretty much void of vegitation being it's been over 6 weeks since I sprayed it.  I usually spray on Memorial day and then two weeks later to get what I missed and late germaniting seeds.  This is the first time I planted winter rye so it's a bit of an experiment.  The deer really like to dig in dirt.  Some areas were plowed by their hooves.  They must be expecting something.   :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
huh... i usually find myself doing a spray-seed-dragging it.. which has given me my best results.. but now i'm thinking I need to watch for a "sod" roller on k-bid this winter.

i'll check this weekend and see if my turnips and alfalfa are coming up. been a few weeks now

If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I to planted last weekend.  4 weeks ago i sprayed with glyco and again 2 weeks later to hit the spots that i missed.  I planted oats mixed with the rye grain.   the main plot was the only field that we worked the soil up with a chisel plow.  we bloadcasted the oats and rye and then drug the field to cover the seeds.    The plot infront of my mothers stand is the one that I planted the radishes and clover in. We dont have a packer/roller so i just had the kids drive the seed into the ground with the quad.  The radishes are new to us and I am excited to see what they do.  Sorry for no pictures, the camera was left on the kitchen counter.  I also made i couple of new trails through the brush in the spring, sprayed them 4 weeks ago.  these trails were planted with clover.  Dad also wanted to try the "throw and grow" which is mostly rye grass on the plot in front of his stand.  Time will tell which one the deer like the best.  I like the variety that we now have.  next year i will try to add something new.  Maybe corn or beans if the weather and work allow time.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
i tossed out furtilizer this year when I seeded.. the turnips and alfalfa are coming up huge and thick.. and maybe they're coming up early enough so they're thick when the deer start hitting it in the fall.. usually they destroy the plots before the season even starts.