Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 64th annual New Brighton Sportsman's Club Long Lake Ice Fishing Contest!  (Read 7728 times)

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Its that time of year again... It's the NewBrighton Sportsman's Club 64th annual Long Lake Ice Fishing Contest! :dancinred: :fishing2:  (Said to be the longest running ice fishing contest in Minnesota)  It's on Saturday Feb. 2nd from 1-3pm... Tickets available at Beisswenger's hardware in New Brighton (96 & Old Hwy 8) or at the gate day of the contest.  If you chase me down, I would also be happy to get you some!  TICKETS ARE ONLY $2 !!!!!!!!! :woot: :dancinred:Need not be present to win, well, except for the fishing prizes... :whistling:No limit on how many tickets you can buy, nice cash prizes for fish, and TONS of door prizes(and cash door prizes!) to be had even if you cant make it to the lake! (so really good odds of bringing something home!  The NBSC is non-profit so all procedes made after contest costs(permits, insurance etc.) go to sending kids to summer outdoor camp and a few other projects. We finally got smart and moved it from Super Bowl Sunday... too big of a conflict for alot of ice fishing folks! ;)  The food wagon will be on the Ice with chilli, hot dogs, coffey/hot chocolate and more.... hope to see some MNO folks make it, stop by the fish weighing table and say hello!  Hope to see you there! :happy1:

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Also.... we are looking for donations for door prizes for the contest, and as always we are looking to get more folks to join the New Brighton Sportsman's Club!  We meet the 4th Tuesday of the month at the New Brighton Eagles Club on Old Hwy.8(free drink ticket every meeting :toast:) Lots of room for help and fresh ideas from outdoor type folks young and old! :happy1:  Any questions? Please give me a shout!   Thanks everyone!

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
   I have been working in New Brighton for 20+ years and have never heard about this organization.  What time do your meetings start?
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
My Football team i play for is out of new brighton!

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey guys!  DDSBYDAY, 4th Tues. 7:30 pm.... Let me know if you want to check out a meeting, we'll roll out the red carpet for ya! ;) Thanks! :happy1:

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  I will be taking you up on that.   I will have to wait until March though.  I am going to see if I can get Fawkinnae to get permission to stay out past 9:00 pm on a week night too. ;D   Good luck on the fishing contest. 
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
That would be awesome!  You and Doug would be perfect members! :toast:  Just to let you let you know, The NBSC isnt as time intensive as one may think..... folks kind of put what they want into it, the ice fishing contest is the big shindig of the year, then its kind of low key the rest of the year.... wild game feed, a few picnic outings, shooting range day, running our food trailer at the NB Stockyard days.... we may have a speaker from the DNR once in a while or send a few members to a PF,QF,DU or other groups banquet here and there, but all in all, a good excuse to have a free beer once a month with the guys... :happy1:  It definatly would be good to get some more "younger guys" like us in the group! :whistling: :doah: :rotflmao:

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Also.... I know I mentioned we are looking for donated prizes.... we usually have stuff for adults, Cash prizes, augers, ice fishing gear, gift certificates to local eateries etc. , and will very gladly accept more along those lines, but prizes for kids go over very well!  We usually give out kites to all the youngins that show, or maybe jig-sticks if we can get a deal on a bunch, but it would be nice to get Items that the young icefishermen would like.... gotta get the kids on the lake and have some fun on the cheap! :happy1:  Thats our angle... tickets have been only $2 for as long as I can remember.... the NBSC has hashed over many a time increasing the price, but keeping the contest inexpensive for a family to get the kids out on the lake is the way to go.... we dont give away trucks or boats, but for $2..... its pretty hard to beat, and the NBSC has had the Long Lake Ice Fishing contest going for 64 yrs.  I think that is really cool, especially in the age of the $25-$50 contest ticket.... what does one get for $2 these days? :scratch:

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Just a reminder..... The contest is this Saturday! (1-3pm, Long Lake, 694 & Long Lake Rd., New Brighton, tix available on the landing day of contest or at Beiswengers Hdwe. In NB.!) :woot: :happy1:  Doing last minute scrambling for prizes... selling tickets.... The weather looks pretty nice, its gonna warm up to about 25 on Saturday after getting cold here for a few days....perfect to make a few more inches of ice to support a mass of people and the big ole lunch wagon..... even a inch or two of the white stuff to have a little traction for running that monster crappie to the weigh in table without incident! ;D  hope some of you guys can make it!  give me a shout if ya gotz questions!  See ya on the ice!!! :happy1:

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
DDSBYDAY...... Forgot.... Join the NBSC and one gets a NICE Camo NBSC cap to boot!  :dancinred: :woot: (and I believe, a nice, shiny NBSC Collectors pin! :woot:)

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
The contest went well! :happy1: Twas a bit chilly out there on Saturday, at least the sun was out and the wind wasnt too bad, but it was cold enough to keep alot of the kids from getting outside...(16 degrees?)  Fishing was slow, but the prizes, hot food, and beverages made up for it.... had alot of fun out on the lake, everyone there had a great time as always, thanx to those who made it out there and thanx to those that donated their time, money and items for prizes! :bow: :bow: :bow:.... looking forward to next year's "65th Annual Long Lake Ice Fishing Contest"!!!!! :woot:

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1:  Glad it went well.   :cold:  I was on vacation and found slow fishing as well.  I did talk to Fawkinnea and we are interested in catching your March meeting.  I'm glad you posted this here.  It is very possible I may have fished in the 10th or 12 annual contest.  I know I did one on White Bear years ago and got an autographed pic from the Great Casey Jones himself.  (I think I lost it before I got home  :bonk:)  Maybe Cody might want to join us.   :happy1:
« Last Edit: February 02/05/13, 07:54:11 PM by DDSBYDAY »

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey DDSBYDAY.... Thats awesome.... looking forward to seeing you guys there, if Cody can make it also, Ive got something of his to give him... was planning to get it to him a while back, thought I would have caught up with him sooner but, well... better late than never, eh? (Cody... one guess.... :scratch:) Next meeting is Tue. Feb. 26 7:30pm.... Then, Tues. March 26 7:30 pm......                                                       Ahhhh yes, my ole buddy Casey... Ive got a pic from when I was 4 yrs. with him at a promo deal somewhere blown up big on my wall at home with another pic years later when Roger was working his gig at a radio station in Breezy Point... had him sign the ole photo and took another new one with him.... when my buddy took the picture, Roger,(Casey) instead of saying cheese, said:  Onions, Onions!  Like the ole song they always sang on his show.....too funny! :rotflmao: Roger is gone now sorry to say but he definatly isnt forgotten... by some of us anyway! ;)

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
DDSBYDAY/FAWKINNAE........... I know you guys were gonna hit the March NBSC meeting, but I thought I'd toss out a reminder that there's also a meeting tomorrow, 7:30 New Brighton Eagles Club, Old Hwy 8..... I'll do a heads-up here soon, start a new post..... this board looks right for a NBSC promo. :happy1:  Give me a shout if anyone else is interested or has any questions!  Thanx everyone! :happy1:

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
   The fourth Tues. of March?  I will be contacting Doug.   I am in.  I will write him a note if I have to.    :happy1:

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep.... Tuesday March 26th.... meetings are always on the fourth Tuesday, unless there's a reason to move the date.... (doesnt happen often) Tell Doug It would be a good "in" to sell some Fawkinnae gear, (and you as well...) at the Fishing Contest, possibly at the NB Stockyard days at our foodwagon..... then there's the complentary drink ticket at the meetings, not like that swayed my decision, or would anyone elses, to join them..... ;) :toast:  Look forward to seeing you guys! :happy1: