Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Controlled Burn Question  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Wonder if anyone here has the answer....

In about a week I am going to have two food plots that are dead from weed killer and all dried up. I want to just burn them off. I have ample water supplies and the help I need. I am going to pick an early morning when there is no wind. The forest area I'm doing is very moist and lush green. I'm not too worried about fire danger and it spreading.

My concern is the area neighbors. I don't want someone seeing that much smoke and calling fire or police out.

To do this do you need a burn permit?

And if I do where would I get that or who would I speak with about it? Local sheriffs office? Local DNR? City Hall?

Anyone have any experience?

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
In carver county you have to call the township that the property is located in and find out who the peron is that issues out permits and contact them. Permit is less than 10 bucks. My mother is that person.  It all depends on the county and township.   Very easy and painless.  Its usually good for a year and all you need to do is call that person on the date of burn.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
We don't burn our plots anymore unless the thatch is really thick.  After the roundup we spread seed, cut tall grasses as high as we can and then pack the plot with the tires on the quad.  When the grass is dry and cut it acts as a deterant for the deer. Pokes the deer in the nose.  Helps the young plants get a jump before the get chewed on.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Wonder if anyone here has the answer....

In about a week I am going to have two food plots that are dead from weed killer and all dried up. I want to just burn them off. I have ample water supplies and the help I need. I am going to pick an early morning when there is no wind. The forest area I'm doing is very moist and lush green. I'm not too worried about fire danger and it spreading.

My concern is the area neighbors. I don't want someone seeing that much smoke and calling fire or police out.

To do this do you need a burn permit?

And if I do where would I get that or who would I speak with about it? Local sheriffs office? Local DNR? City Hall?

Anyone have any experience?
I just used this years burning permit 2 days ago for the first time in 2014.I get them every year they are free from the DNR at your local issuing office.There are some compliances depending on the burn.You declare them at the time of getting the permit.
 Heres a link and they say 5 dollar fee??That must be online fee becausae we go to the city of atwater every year and in person obtain them for free.As long as we stay within the regs for under a acre 43600 ft or close to that whatever a acre figures to.They are a phone call away to activate the permit with the registration number given over the phone when activating the permit
 Link>>https://webapps8.dnr.state.mn.us/burning_permits/
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
let us know how it goes.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
with a regular burning permit you can burn up to 1 acre. any more than that and you need to get a special permit.

fire can be really helpful but it can be hard to do right. the hotter the burn the better but if its your first time id stick to your plan and do it on a day where it will be hard for the fire to get out of control.

I would let the neighbors know if they are in the close proximity or downwind. it may save you some hassle. also remember if its close to roadways your also responsible for the smoke hazards created.

take some pics/video if your able to, its fun to see others results.
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!