Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: how do you sow your seeds?  (Read 1994 times)

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
wondering how everyone sows their seeds? I was thinking of renting a food plot planter this year? however over the winter I picked up one of those push seeders that will plant a single seed at a time. usually we till.. sow the seeds and then drag.. other times we did the "no till" stuff..

I would like to hear how you get your seeds in the dirt.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I have only use the no till broadcast method.  I spray vegitation killer, wait 10 days and respray areas that need it.  Then broad cast seeds mixed with fertilizer.  Then hope for rain.  I didn't plant last year but the year before didn't turn out well.  I was a little late and it didn't rain for 6 weeks after I planted.  It's been so wet and I just didn't have time yet this spring but I plan to get a few plots going soon.  so much to do so little time.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm hoping to use a combo of the methods. we have a few areas where we can get a newly acquired tractor (with a tiller attachment) in and work the place over pretty good. we're thinking a more organized approach to planting that one maybe with the row planter. then a few areas deeper and around the apple trees I'm thinking the throw and pray method
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I've only broadcasted my seed right on top of the soil. I've helped with others plots and have seen them drag after a seeding but have never done that personally.

Always have had good luck when the weather cooperates.

Offline stevejedlenski

• Master Outdoorsman
we broadcast our seed. but it really depends on what seed your using. soybeans need to be deeper where clover and brassicas really shallow. with our small seed that needs to be shallow we till twice and then broadcast the seed on top by a hand spreader. then we cultipack. packing it in helps burry the seed and makes a huge difference in germination. our soybeans we till twice broadcast and then drag. we have been planting brassicas for about 5 years and always plant before a good rain. i would suggest using almost 2x the seed the bag says as its better for weed competition as we dont spray our brassicas.

this is our first year with soybeans and we are using the round up ready beans. we waited too long but were going to use eagle beans or real world beans which are a forage bean. they are sold out so we went with a regular ag bean to get them in before the latest rain. hoping for a good result as we did 2 acres and plan on 5 acres next year.
my wife said it.... im OFFICIALLY ADDICTED to MNO!!

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
My prefered method is to till the soil annd let weed seeds germinate for a few weeks. Spray the weeds that have started to grow and then spread seeds into soft soil. After the seeds are on the ground we then pack the soil by driving the wheeler over the entire plot.  Hope for rain. 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.