Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Quickest way to make a food plot.  (Read 2361 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I will look at some of the stuff that is already here later.  BUT I am wondering what is the easiest way to get a food plot going.  I have 20 acres here where we live.  I have a real thick stand of 20' plus tall spruces planted real thick and deer do bed in there.  Mostly does and fawns but a buck or two occasionaly.  I have two neighbors that are on the other side of these spruces.  They don't hunt.  I want to attract more deer or keep deer here longer.   I have  a pasture along these spruces.  I have a 4 wheeler and a WD Allis tractor.  I am wondering if I just disc over and over will I be able to get it to dirt for planting something?   And if so what should I plant?

I would put my fish house a hundred yards from this and maybe harvest a deer from it.  All of this is only 200 yards from my house.  As we were sitting on the deck last night a deer walked through the woods by the house.  lol

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
im way no expert on ffood plots, but i think. discking one one way and onccce across the grain would break it up niccley and a little. ccultaharrow to smooth it down would.do nicley. but i get ur soil tested, send in a sample.to.see what nutrients u have or void of. i think ur loccal soil and water shed offficce ccan help
 with that.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
No expert here either but I would start with round up before anything.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Both sound like good ideas.  Now to find a disc.  Would be nice if I could find a rental one to pull behind my ATV.

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Try to find a local farmer that may be able to plow for you. A plow will turn the grass and weeds under and give you better dirt for working up.
If you are going to do an annual this year, sunflowers can go in late and still give plenty to chew on. Rye is a fall favorite and will kill lots of weeds when planted thick enough. Use it for green manure/fertilizer in the spring or offer to the farmer for working the field.

The soil test is a must before planting anything long term such as clover or alfalfa and should be done to get the best results on any planting.. The hay would make good trading for working the ground.

With 20 acres it would be able to fit some brassicas on the edges, or where you can get the deer out from the trees.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
if I was to do a food plot,I would sunflowers if at all possible. know your set up barry. I would try sunnies, for the reasoning of, sunflowers have a lot of oils and nutrients, and all forms of wild life loves them, Bear, deer, birds, coon, ect ect. sunflowers will hold deer for sure.  either that or acombo of clover and alfalfa. barrasicas whichare radishes types, deer loer them even more cause after the first frost, the root bulb releases sugars, that deer will paw out into the muzzy season. Barrasicas are a great late seson food plot, Like abouve mentioned a some stripes to get deer out into thefeild a bit.
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Is a barrasica like a turnip?  I like that idea.  Those and sunflowers.  I found a disc I can rent too.  May take a lot of passes but can pull it behind the ATV.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
barassicas are yeah turnips, sugar beets, radishes ect, google barasicas for food plots, and stuff should come up.. have funs, another good plot is soybeans, the only problem with like sunflowers and soybeans is in the spring then you have all that stubble, not so bad with beans, but sunnies can be a pain to remove with out harvesting equipment. maybe a alfalfa clover mix, which growes annually and is good for about 3 years,  and easy to turn over or disk and start over. just thining.
78.50"

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I'm putting in kale & turnips  :deer:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Boar, I am thinking about maybe 2 lines about 10 feet wide and 50-100 feet long on the north side of those spruces that are along my driveway. It all depends on how well the discing goes.  The deer hang in those spruces.  I will park my fishhouse out there so they get used to it and that will be my blind.   Try to get one with the crossbow.   :happy1: