Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Hunting land question  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
So my question is can your cover on your land be to thick? Ours has grown out so much in the last 10 years that I think it is barely passable for even the deer. There's plenty of food and water on the property for the deer. I'm putting in a plot. Run 5 trophy rocks. I have 5 cams on the property and have had them out sense June. Just checked them this past weekend and only a few does and fawns and not one buck. This is two years in a row now that we just and getting any pictures of bucks on the property big or small and I just can't figure it out. I've spent this entire weekend cutting trails and I think the land needs some serious cutting on all the thick underbrush that makes the land nearly impassable. Thoughts??

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
The thicker the better cover for big bucks!! Did you read the post of bachler bucks?? I see it all the time out here,Lots a does an fawns seen often,Then maybe once every 4-6 weeks a group of 4 bucks come through with 2 smaller ones behind.They stick to a WPA  thats across the road and are mostly nocturnal,,Till rut any way when they are senseless but love heavy cover.We sit on a high hill with a telescope that 150yards I can read the brand name on a fisherpersons sunglasses. Where they stick around we can spot em 1-2 times a month Not all at the same time,Till they wander over here they stick to a main trail 200yds across the bay.
 Read that bachler buck or maybe it was a utube??
« Last Edit: July 07/31/16, 03:02:31 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Nothing wrong with some openings but most people would love to have a brush too thick problem.  Are the trails visible in fall and spring?  If so, find an intersection in the thick stuff and make a small clearing near it.  Place you mineral station here to attract the does and the bucks will visit the area.  It's tough hunting and I have had deer 20 feet from my stand and couldn't get a shot.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
Well in the fall you can see somewhat. Right now the brush is so over grown that it would be impossible for bucks to travel them. Never have we had issues with seeing bucks on the property. The last couple years it's seemed to get worse. I thought over harvest maybe could be a issue until I tallied the deer up. Two shot last year and that's counting the one that came across the road wounded that I had to put down. And one the year before that.