Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Angler debate: catch and release versus catch and drop in the grease  (Read 10087 times)

Offline Easy

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been rolling the topic (you know, the one this thread is supposed to be about) around in my head and broke it down. 

If one believes in catch and release for the reason of keeping certain fish populations up, then they believe that the fishing seasons and catch limits are inadequate as set by the Department of Environmental Conservation.  It then begs the question, would you release a fish species that you like to eat (in my case trout) even if it meets the season and other criteria required by law?   

Yes, I have released trout even though they were in season, and met the size and catch limits.

It occurred to me that even though the Environmental Conservation boys have determined the desired limits and have set the seasons for adequate fish population, and stock the waters with trout once a year, that in my opinion, the fisheries are still over-fished for trout. 

I think the fisheries by me are overfished and not enough people are releasing their trout catch.  If it's a legal catch, that's fine if they keep the fish, but there still aren't enough trout to go around.

I almost find it offensive that stocking is necessary.  It would almost be more efficient if I went right to the hatchery, and they handed me two or so trout.

Just saying.           

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I'm not pro or anti stocking but seems to me stocking is a program for putting fish in waters where the fish they stick don't naturally reproduce nor weren't part of that system to start out with. Now trout I have very little knowledge about so I won't comment on.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
C & R 90% of the time here too!!  even spearing!!  in other words I like to watch them more than anything!!
another spear chucker!!! Awesome!! I to look and release alot of nords.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
C & R 90% of the time here too!!  even spearing!!  in other words I like to watch them more than anything!!
another spear chucker!!! Awesome!! I to look and release alot of nords.

what's really fun is when you touch them with the spear!!  Man do they fly out the area!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The only time I do that is when I got a little feller that think he has to have my live sucker minnow and won't let it alone. Otherwise there a cackle watching them goofy fish act like clowns! :shocked: :cheesy:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is true, do you belong to the MDAA by chance?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

What's that? The Munchkin Development Association of America?  :scratch:   :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Used to. Used to belong to alot of groups but would go broke belonging to all the organization of the critters I stalk. Didn't want to pick some over another so I dropped all of them.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

What's that? The Munchkin Development Association of America?  :scratch:   :rotflmao:
you dipstick!! smoking_a_joint-408.gif :rotflmao: :oscar: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

you dipstick!! smoking_a_joint-408.gif :rotflmao: :oscar: :rotflmao:

now that is funny!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Easy

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: February 02/26/17, 04:48:24 PM by Easy »

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Easy where you located? This referance led me to think yer outta state maybe a cannuck?>>Department of Environmental Conservation.

I disagree with stocking any fish not natural to the waters! I've read where trout were stocked (cant remember where?But a recent read) The stocked trout out competed the naturals and drove them to near extinction!!
 Then in southern Minnesota stockin the states favorite walleye as a put an take fishery without ANY reproduction! Those lakes coulld be great panfish,Bass an nothern lakes but its so crazy that walleye fad!!! Ruin a fine fishery to have a EXPENSIVE fish stocked year after year!! All that $$ could make a different fishery a destination lake for he noneye worshipers!! DISCUSTING!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Easy

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: February 02/26/17, 03:52:42 AM by Easy »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I live here: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6142848,-73.5296608,11065m/data=!3m1!1e3
I've got eight local lakes within 15 minutes (all fished hard), and a state park within 25 minutes. 

This is lakes region starts a  half to my north: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4564338,-74.0424518,105235m/data=!3m1!1e3

I'm not taking a stand on anyone else catching and releasing.  They can do what they want.

My beef is with the sportsmen that came before us, long before people thought about constraint.

They used to catch fish like this out of the local river routinely.  They fished it out selling to restaurants.  Now the fish are no more.

I'm not taking a stand on anyone else catching and releasing.  They can do what they want. I also dont mind C&R or fishfries. Its not really oldtimers my father uncles an granparents took everything! My gran dad an his father were commerical hunters an fishers,sent their game to Chicago for profit.Yah they stripped the lakes an streams of everything!! Kinda like today with instant notification of a good bite, The hoards show an stripe the lake!! Had it happen on the lake we live watched with horror!! The 2 to 3 llb crapie are no more and we caught em every spring off the dock from 2000 to 2008 in large numbers every evening!! when word got ot! Now to get a meal of 8-10 inch crappie takes us 2-3 evenings a fishin..Its still happening raping lakes!!
« Last Edit: February 02/10/17, 02:57:35 PM by dew2 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Huh? Reb said you lived on easy Street????

He's a top secret government operative, and we worked together on the Rolling Thunder ops in years past.  We're not really who you think we are at all.  :cool:

Offline Easy

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: February 02/26/17, 04:47:22 PM by Easy »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
When did you get the new pool chairs? oh, and you've got a small patch of crabgrass there. I can take care of that for ya.
« Last Edit: February 02/10/17, 03:31:18 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
by 3 inches and your  4 lbs lighter.  tut_tut-3315.gif tut_tut-3315.gif
I know gllenn and you fellers now have me confused?????
 Heres some light humor for ya both! So who is talller gllenn by 3 or Reb by 3 Five ft one an a risen??

OK Now onemore time who is taller an fatter?? Whos over 6ft tall.I been side by side wit Glenn an I am close to 6ft close 1 1/2 shy in my old shrunkin age!!
 Heres another song fer Reb an Glenn till they actually give in and admit their both little blue people!!