Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: New 3 zone nothern rules  (Read 3489 times)

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Lost the link but the DNR is including the much talked about nothern rules in the 2017 synopsis fishin rules.
 MPLS TRIB was my source. Its a go.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

St. Paul — Rules dividing the state into three separate northern pike zones are on track to go into effect for this year’s coming fishing opener, May 13.

Minnesota DNR using an expedited permanent rule-making proccess, is expecting approval of the rules from an administrative law judge on Tuesday.

The rules, the work of several years of debate and compromise between different fishing conservation groups, including dark house anglers, were included in last year’s omnibus game and fish bill, which never made it out of the Legislature.

But, through this different rule-changing procedure, the rule will still go into effect this coming season. During a public comment period that ended in November, two people requested a public hearing, falling well short of the required 100 requests.

The new rules give anglers three different regulatory prescriptions for three very different regions of the state, designed to protect some larger fish and lead to fewer stunted “hammer-handle” pike.

In the northeast, for example, fish grow slower but endure less fishing pressure than they do in the southern part of the state, where they grow faster but live shorter lives.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
personally I think this is crap!!!!!!!!!!! :mad1: :mad1: face_plant-2139.gif face_plant-2139.gif confused-3316.gif fart-421.gif
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
need to read what the rule say, but I can guess  :bs:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
You can clean all them slimy Son-of-bleachs out of my North-Central-Zone Walleye lake would be fine with me!  :Clap:
« Last Edit: February 02/12/17, 10:24:53 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
You can clean all them slimy Son-of-bleachs out of my North-Central-Zone Walleye lake would be fine with me!  :Clap:

:happy1:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Special regs in place here for close to 10 years & it might be part of the reason they are trying this. You can keep 9 if they're < 22" here. IMO it has helped as I caught my 1st one, in at least 10 years, over 30" last season. Doesn't seem to be quite as many hammerhandles either.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
need to read what the rule say, but I can guess  :bs:
Link below
   In the Northeast zone (east of Hwy. 53, running between Duluth and International Falls), anglers can possess two northerns, with one over 40 inches. Northern 30 inches to 40 inches must be released.

• In the North-Central zone (west of U.S. Hwy. 53 and north of state Hwy. 7 beginning in Ortonville, east past Hutchinson, south on state Hwy. 22 to Glencoe, east on U.S. Hwy 212 to Chaska, south on state Hwy. 41 to the Minnesota River to the Mississippi River), the northern limit will be 10, with two longer than 26 inches. Northerns 22-26 inches must be released.

• In the Southern zone (south of the west-east line noted above beginning in Ortonville), the northern limit is two, with a minimum size of 24 inches.

Northern pike from different zones can be included in a statewide limit, but can’t exceed the daily limit or size restrictions of the zone where the fish were taken.

The new regulations won’t apply to the approximately 100 lakes now governed by special northern pike length or possession restrictions, including Mille Lacs. Also, border waters are excluded.

http://www.startribune.com/dnr-sets-new-rules-for-northern-limits-in-three-zones-come-may/413361693/?ref=nl&om_rid=AAFWyk&om_mid=_BYoGF4B8xYM8Sc
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks Dew2, interesting reading, the spearing regs could be really interesting.
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!