Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Painting tackle.  (Read 1858 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Thinking of repainting some of my old, beat up jig heads. Some of them are ice fishing heads. Being the strange old fart I am, I was thinking of using glow in the dark nail polish. I told you. I'm strange.
      I'm wondering if there would be any advantage to using this polish. I can see how it might work on the ice fishing jigs but not sure about the other jigs.
      What do you think?
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
hey it's worth a try I'd say!!!   ya don't know til ya try!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
They sell glow in the dark nail polish?!?  :confused:  Maybe the gals' in Inger wear it.  :bonk: I don't get out much anymore.

As for jig heads, there is only one way to find out.  ;)

Are you trying to get jig heads that actually glow in the dark, or just seeing if you can paint them differently to trigger strikes in daylight?

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
A couple of concerns I would have. 

1.)  the product has to be painted first as the nail polish is a top coat.   Will the polish eat the original paint? 
2.)  Depending on how many you want to do would the polish be cost effective.

I guess when I have to do a few older jigs I strip them with lacquer thinner and then powder coat with white and then glow powder.   

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
They sell glow in the dark nail polish?!?  :confused:  Maybe the gals' in Inger wear it.  :bonk: I don't get out much anymore.

Are you trying to get jig heads that actually glow in the dark, or just seeing if you can paint them differently to trigger strikes in daylight?
I was surprised, too. I don't normally stroll down that aisle. I originally wanted something to paint my cat fishing rods  so I could see them. My daughter suggested them. She actually went out and bought 8 colors for me. Of course, she did have to let everyone know she was buying them for her dad.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
A couple of concerns I would have. 

1.)  the product has to be painted first as the nail polish is a top coat.   Will the polish eat the original paint? 
2.)  Depending on how many you want to do would the polish be cost effective.

I guess when I have to do a few older jigs I strip them with lacquer thinner and then powder coat with white and then glow powder.
Good points. I have several sizes of lead heads I bought from Mister Twister several years ago. I looked on the label (small print and old eyes) to see if it's an enamel. I didn't see it. A rainy day like Friday is a good day to experiment.

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      After several less than glorious attempts at painting bare lead and painted lead and powder coated lead, I have decided my idea sucks.
      I wonder if one of my granddaughters would like some glow in the dark nail polish. Just an FYI, this is not the first bad idea I've had. May have to order some powder coat paints by next spring.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Well at least you had fun trying. I have watched them powder coat jigs at a sport show and it looked like fun.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
      After several less than glorious attempts at painting bare lead and painted lead and powder coated lead, I have decided my idea sucks.
      I wonder if one of my granddaughters would like some glow in the dark nail polish. Just an FYI, this is not the first bad idea I've had. May have to order some powder coat paints by next spring.

:rotflmao:  not as easy as it looks.  Powder coating is pretty easy for the most part.   If you have a BUNCH to do look at building or buying a fluid bed.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

yeah Gunner would know about the nail polish in Inger! :sleazy:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I can't say I ever tried - and I ain't criticizing - but I didn't think it would be that hard to paint up jig heads.

I figure the trickiest part would be getting them set up in a vice long enough for the paint to dry and being able to do more than one at a time.  Then, if you wanted to get fancy, painting all those tiny black eyes would be a P-I-T...:moon:

And how cheap is a packet of new ones?  :confused:

I guess that's why I have so many jigs in my tackle box with the paint chipped off them.  :bonk:

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      It may be easier than I thought. I may be overthinking it, too. Probably more of a thing to do on a rainy day than a mission.
      I used my fly tying vise to hold the jigs. I didn't spend a lot of time prepping them either. I suppose I could get serious about it and buy the lead, molds, hooks and powder coat paint. I still might, some day.
      A fun day, playing with tackle and drinking a few beers. It's good to be retired.
      Thanks, everyone.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great project.