Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Hunting in Iowa with Sconnie boys  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Preface, another story I wrote for the pure entertainment of it,, once you folks get to know me a bit you will realize that I have a warped brain that does well not only writing from experiences in my life, but putting a spin on those realities that will hopefully brighten somebodies day through these writings from a simple plow boy.

So,  Glen wants an Iowegian pheasant hunting story,bear with me as I have to get my mind into story telling so I have to mix a couple of jack and pepsi’s to help it along.

There use to be five fellows from Wis that we met up with one year quite by accident,( no,no one got shot ) and we made it a tradition to hunt every opener from there on out for almost sixteen years before the bird population dwindled down to almost nothing and they quit coming down.
now,they will tell you they quit coming down as they did not want be part of the problem of taking what birds were left and let the population recover.

well,truth be told,they were the original part of the problem,it was not due to so many CRP acres getting taken out and put back into crop ground,nor was the problem from too many bad winters.
you see,these guys were poor shots and wounded a lot of birds,too many wing shots,too many legs shot off and dogs that died of old age because they had to chase the wounded birds so dang far.
a few of those dogs starved to death as they expended all of their energy crossing seven counties without food or water to sustain them.
dangdest thing I ever did saw,dogs trained so well they would not give up the chase,well,I thought that for a fleeting moment but one day one of the guys wives called to see if he was okay because Duke beat him back home,mind you its three hundred sixty miles from my house to their house near Appleton Wis.

Gotta tell ya,the coyote population started to take off here because they were eating so well thanks to these guys.
I tried teaching them how to shoot,lead,follow through,keep your eye on the bird,etc but it didnt do any good at all.
if it hadnt been for all of the whiskey and cheese they brought down every year I would of told them to quit coming down but dang I was living good during hunting season!! and my guide pay was pretty good too,I should admit I was ashamed of myself for being an old farm boy who knew better and letting the birds go to waste such as they did but at that time there was so many of them I thought,who would notice?? shame on me.

well,the last year they came down was a bad year,not only for the birds but for the guys from Wis as well.
the first morning of opener one guy whos name I wont mention peed on an electric fence,if that wasnt bad enough he had his shotgun in his other hand and shot the back window out of his truck when he got lit up,all five rounds of his Remington 1187 hit there mark about two inches apart.
kind of funny watching him limp the rest of the day and every once in a while a puff of smoke would come out of his hat.

that afternoon another guy couldnt wait for the rooster to flush and blasted him an inch off of the ground,hey,it was airborne I will give him that but the fireball from the Remingting magnum 4 shot in full choke set the grass on fire and we had a problem on our hands,do we put the fire out or do we go to the other end of the field and limit out with all of the birds getting the hell out of Dodge ahead of the firestorm?
for once in fifteen years they had a limit of birds and we ate what was left of the first one seeing as how it was fully cooked right there in the field,dang!! talk about tender!!

a CO happened to see the smoke from the field and ventured our way to check it,I sure was glad we had a creek on two sides of the field and no wind that day so the fire burnt itself out and didnt jump the creek.
anyway,the CO asked us what happened and if we were using fire to our advantage to hunt pheasants,of course we told him we had seen the fire too and we just got done putting it out before he showed up.
you know how CO’s are,they dont believe a word you say and start playing six hundred questions until you give in or they are satisfied that you are being truthful and you get a fine anyway.

this is were it got really ugly,about the time we were in the clear Donny asked the CO if ever had a,,,ah,uh,er,a foot of rooster in his backside to which the CO replied no and challenged Donny to to prove it could be done.
I dont know what its like peeing on an electric fence and hope to never find out but it changed Donny that day and I quickly tried to defuse the cituation between Donny and the CO to no avail.
I didnt have a cellphone with me that could take pictures with so I had to find a picture that is close enough to represent what happened to that poor CO.
the guys got out of jail after posting bond and I was released because I was the only one who stayed with the CO while waiting on an ambulance to show up.

I havent seen those guys in ten years now,probably a good thing.
okay,this story is purely BS,it was thought up to entertain Glen57

Offline Iowaboy1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
A picture that represents what happened that day to the Co that Donny had it out with.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Pulleye16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
To funny iowaboy.

I can only imagine how many pics you had to sift through after searching “cock in the ass” to find that picture!   🤣🤣🤣
2023 Boar's Big Deer Contest Winner